The Band Cahoots [Bonus Tracks]
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.84 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.14 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 29, 2000
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Capitol
Rolling Stone - 11/11/71, p.54"...with CAHOOTS, I have no compunction in saying that the Band is one of the few functioning units in rock worthy of the name auteurs..."
Rolling Stone - 8/31/00, pp.69-733 stars out of 5 - "...The added demo of 'Don't Do it' - a funky butt-kicking of Marvin Gaye's 'Baby Don't You Do It' - beats nearly everything on the original LP..."
Entertainment Weekly - 9/1/00, p.81"...These remasterings sound incredibly rich, and each has alternate takes....this is reissuing done right." - Rating: B-
Q - 10/00, p.1393 stars out of 5 - "...Anything containing 'Life Is A Carnival', mind, can't be all bad....Remastered, properly annotated, plus bonus tracks....there's been no better time to get re-acquainted with this quintessential American music..."
No Depression - 9-10/00, pp.102-3"...Benefits from the remastering job....as it is sweetened with an unreleased version of 'Endless Highway'....gratifying..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 10/00, p.126"...Improves on the original digital transfers, clarifying significant details without homogenizing the overall sound. The addition of bonus tracks, of varying interest, will please some..."
- 1.Life Is A Carnival
- 2.When I Paint My Masterpiece
- 3.Last Of The Blacksmiths
- 4.Where Do We Go From Here?
- 5.4% Pantomime
- 6.Shoot Out In Chinatown
- 7.The Moon Struck One
- 8.Thinkin' Out Loud
- 9.Smoke Signal
- 11.The River Hymn
- 12.Endless Highway
- 13.When I Paint My Masterpiece
- 14.Bessie Smith
- 15.Don't Do It
- 16.Radio Commercial
The Band: Robbie Robertson (vocals, guitar); Rick Danko (vocals, fiddle, bass instrument); Richard Manuel (vocals, piano, drums); Levon Helm (vocals, drums); Garth Hudson (accordion, horns, keyboards).
Additional personnel: Van Morrison (vocals); Allen Toussaint.
Audio Mixers: Dave Pearlman; Andrew Sandoval.
Liner Note Author: Rob Bowman.
The Band's fourth album, from 1971, shows the strains which accompanied its recording, and in fact continued to unravel the group over the next five years. Much anticipated upon its release, it can now be appreciated as the fragmented work that it is. Having set impossibly high standards with their previous releases, they were bound to teeter, and they did. But even when falling short of their masterpieces MUSIC FROM BIG PINK and THE BAND, they are still a powerful force to be reckoned with, and CAHOOTS yields its share of rewards.
"Life Is A Carnival" began their association with Allen Toussaint--his horn arrangements led to a full-blown collaboration on the live ROCK OF AGES the following year--and the result is a burbling piece of funky country pop. Bob Dylan's "When I Paint My Masterpiece" is premiered here (Dylan later released his version on his GREATEST HITS VOLUME II) with a lovely accordion and mandolin arrangement. Other highlights include the Richard Manuel-Van Morrison duet on "4% Pantomime" and one of their most overlooked songs, the hauntingly beautiful "The Moon Struck One." CAHOOTS lacks the consistency of the Band's best work, but is still a fine effort by one of the era's most influential bands.
Tower of Song: An Epic Story of Canada and Its Music (DVD)(2)
$5.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 49 ratings.
Based on 49 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Bob Wills Sings & Plays/In Concert (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Joe Newman The Complete RCA Victor Recordings (1955-1956) "The Basie Days (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Fugitives On The Run With The Fugitives (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE