Grand Funk Railroad BORN TO DIE (IMPORT)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.35 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Grand Funk Railroad ~ Good Singin', Good Playin' ~ $9.72
- by Mark Farner ~ No Frills ~ $11.35
- by Grand Funk Railroad ~ Phoenix [Bonus Tracks] ~ $8.34
- by Grand Funk Railroad ~ We're an American Band [Bonus Tracks] ~ $8.84
Products with a similar style:
- Humble Pie The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $4.48
- Released: February 25, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Born To Die
- 4.I Fell For Your Love
- 5.Talk To The People
- 6.Take Me
- 8.Love Is Dyin'
- 10.Good Things
- 11.Bare Naked Woman
Grand Funk Railroad: Mark Farner (vocals, guitar); Don Brewer (vocals, drums, percussion); Craig Frost (keyboards, background vocals); Mel Schacher (bass).
Additional personnel: Jimmy Hall (harmonica, saxophone); Donna Hall (background vocals).
Originally released on Capitol (11482). Includes liner notes by Steve Roeser.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Mark Farner (vocals, guitar); Don Brewer (vocals, drums, percussion); Jimmy Hall (harmonica, saxophone); Craig Frost (keyboards, background vocals); Donna Hall (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Steve Genewick.
Liner Note Author: Steve Roeser.
Recording information: The Swamp.
Photographer: Lynn Goldsmith.
The title says it all: Although not steeped in heavy metal riffs or gothic sound effects, this 1976 effort from Grand Funk Railroad creates a mood gloomy enough to rival the darkest moments of Black Sabbath. By this point in their career, the band was feeling run into the ground and this is reflected in the mood of the lyrics: the title track is mournful rumination on the inevitability of death and "I Feel for Your Love" explores the depression created by the end of a relationship. The result is an album that feels like an anomaly in the Grand Funk Railroad catalog: the album's dark mood sits at odds with the group's normally energetic style and, thus, robs it of a lot of its punch. Even though the production is solid and the group's instrumental performance is tight, neither of these elements make it easy to listen to an album of oppressively dreary songs. However, a few bright spots shine through: "Sally" is a country-tinged mid-tempo rocker that highlights Mark Farner's harmonica playing and "Take Me" is a driving, lusty rocker that briefly adds a shot of much-needed energy to the proceedings. Of the gloomier tracks, "Love Is Dyin'" stands out because it applies a strong, guitar-heavy rock melody to its sad sentiments to create a song that is both driving and emotionally affecting. Ultimately, Born to Die is such a grim affair that it may turn off some of the group's fans but it remains an interesting curio for the Grand Funk Railroad completist. ~ Donald A. Guarisco
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.77 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
Jan & Dean Greatest Hits (CD) ~
$5.35 Super Savings