- Released: July 23, 1996
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Capitol
- 1.Strip Polka
- 2.I Lost My Sugar In Salt Lake City
- 3.G.I. Jive
- 4.Blues In The Night
- 5.Ac-Cent-Chu-Ate The Positive
- 7.I'm Gonna See My Baby
- 8.On The Atchison, Topeka And The Santa Fe
- 9.Surprise Party
- 11.My Sugar Is So Refined
- 12.One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
- 14.Gal In Calico
- 15.Winter Wonderland
- 16.Moon-Faced, Starry Eyed
- 17.Sugar Blues
- 18.Save The Bones For Henry Jones (Cause Henry Don't Eat No Meat)
- 19.Glow Worm
- 20.Baby, It's Cold Outside
Includes liner notes by Steve Kolanjian.
Digitally remastered by Larry Walsh (February 1989, Capitol Recording Studios, Hollywood, California).
Given that composer/lyricist/vocalist Johnny Mercer co-founded Capitol Records in the early 1940s, it's very fitting that one of his finest solo releases is entitled CAPITOL COLLECTORS SERIES. Although Mercer is best known as a songwriter, the Georgia native was a fine singer who used his deep voice, deft delivery, and innate Southern charm to wonderful effect, whether performing his own songs or other contemporaneous pop hits.
This 20-track compilation of '40s studio sessions finds Mercer breezing through beloved originals, including the swinging "On the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe" and the dreamy "One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)." Mercer, however, is equally at home as an interpreter, as best revealed on an exuberant rendition of Johnny Burke and Jimmy Van Heusen's "Personality." Mercer's talent as a vocalist isn't so much underrated as it is relatively unknown, but this excellent collection provides ample evidence of his legacy as a recording artist.