Gerry Rafferty City To City
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.41 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.57 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 24, 1989
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Capitol
Q (Magazine) - p.1233 stars out of 5 -- "[M]ellifluous pop songs....Most of CITY TO CITY's 10 tracks present Rafferty as a restless soul."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1124 stars out of 5 -- "It opens with some sweet synth-thing meandering over floaty ambience, then in roars that sax fanfare, primal like the sea, until Rafferty's featherbed voice smooths it over..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1014 stars out of 5 -- "Gerry's intimate singing style bordered on the confessional: an unfussy delivery that never swamped the emotions of the songs."
Uncut (magazine) - p.934 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he original 10 songs remain an essential expression of punk-defying soft-rock."
- 1.The Ark
- 2.Baker Street
- 3.Right Down The Line
- 4.City To City
- 5.Stealin' Time
- 6.Mattie's Rag
- 7.Whatever's Written In Your Heart
- 8.Home And Dry
- 10.Waiting For The Day
Originally released on United Artists.
Personnel: Gerry Rafferty (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, keyboards, background vocals); Hugh Murphy (vocals, guitar, electric guitar, tabla, tambourine); Graham Preskett (vocals, mandolin, violin, fiddle, keyboards); Gary Taylor (vocals, keyboards, Moog synthesizer, background vocals); John McBurnie, Vivienne McAuliffe, Rab Noakes, Roger Brown , Barbara Dickson (vocals, background vocals); Nigel Jenkins, Hugh Burns, Jerry Donahue (guitar, electric guitar); Andy Fairweather Low (guitar); Micky Moody (acoustic guitar); Brian Cole (steel guitar, dobro); B.J. Cole (steel guitar); Paul Jones (harmonica); Willy Ray (accordion); Raphael Ravenscroft (saxophone, alto saxophone); Tommy Eyre (piano, grand piano, electric piano, organ, keyboards, Moog synthesizer); Glen LeFleur (drums, tambourine, percussion); Henry Spinetti (drums); Vivian McAuliff, Vivian McAulipe, Joanna Carlin (background vocals).
Recording information: Berwick Street Studios; Chipping Norton Studios; Marquee Studios, London, England.
Arranger: Tommy Eyre.
Often mistaken with Night Owl, as they both had similar subject matter and beautiful Patrick Byrne covers, the main difference is that this is the one with "Baker Street," probably the most flogged song of the past two decades, and one that now does his credibility no good. Missing out in the memory bank is the powerful "The Ark," and the often ignored, radio-friendly title track. It also includes two of his finest open love songs: "Right Down The Line" and the innocently profound "Whatever's Written In Your Heart"), with the line "so we agree to disagree, at least we got our memories."
Right Down the Line: The Best of Gerry Rafferty (CD)(28)
$8.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 90 ratings.
Based on 90 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Love and Affection: Joan Armatrading Classics 1975-1983... (CD)(9)
$17.82 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Dion Deja Nu (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 5 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE