Gerry Rafferty City To City
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.41 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.57 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 24, 1989
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Capitol
Q (Magazine) - p.1233 stars out of 5 -- "[M]ellifluous pop songs....Most of CITY TO CITY's 10 tracks present Rafferty as a restless soul."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1124 stars out of 5 -- "It opens with some sweet synth-thing meandering over floaty ambience, then in roars that sax fanfare, primal like the sea, until Rafferty's featherbed voice smooths it over..."
Record Collector (magazine) - p.1014 stars out of 5 -- "Gerry's intimate singing style bordered on the confessional: an unfussy delivery that never swamped the emotions of the songs."
Uncut (magazine) - p.934 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he original 10 songs remain an essential expression of punk-defying soft-rock."
- 1.The Ark
- 2.Baker Street
- 3.Right Down The Line
- 4.City To City
- 5.Stealin' Time
- 6.Mattie's Rag
- 7.Whatever's Written In Your Heart
- 8.Home And Dry
- 10.Waiting For The Day
Originally released on United Artists.
Personnel: Gerry Rafferty (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, keyboards, background vocals); Hugh Murphy (vocals, guitar, electric guitar, tabla, tambourine); Graham Preskett (vocals, mandolin, violin, fiddle, keyboards); Gary Taylor (vocals, keyboards, Moog synthesizer, background vocals); John McBurnie, Vivienne McAuliffe, Rab Noakes, Roger Brown , Barbara Dickson (vocals, background vocals); Nigel Jenkins, Hugh Burns, Jerry Donahue (guitar, electric guitar); Andy Fairweather Low (guitar); Micky Moody (acoustic guitar); Brian Cole (steel guitar, dobro); B.J. Cole (steel guitar); Paul Jones (harmonica); Willy Ray (accordion); Raphael Ravenscroft (saxophone, alto saxophone); Tommy Eyre (piano, grand piano, electric piano, organ, keyboards, Moog synthesizer); Glen LeFleur (drums, tambourine, percussion); Henry Spinetti (drums); Vivian McAuliff, Vivian McAulipe, Joanna Carlin (background vocals).
Recording information: Berwick Street Studios; Chipping Norton Studios; Marquee Studios, London, England.
Arranger: Tommy Eyre.
Often mistaken with Night Owl, as they both had similar subject matter and beautiful Patrick Byrne covers, the main difference is that this is the one with "Baker Street," probably the most flogged song of the past two decades, and one that now does his credibility no good. Missing out in the memory bank is the powerful "The Ark," and the often ignored, radio-friendly title track. It also includes two of his finest open love songs: "Right Down The Line" and the innocently profound "Whatever's Written In Your Heart"), with the line "so we agree to disagree, at least we got our memories."
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 90 ratings.
Based on 90 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Very Best of Joan Armatrading [Universal International] (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Yes Acoustic: Guaranteed No Hiss (DVD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - For Lovers Only, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Freddy Fender Before The Next Teardrop Falls (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE