Wayne Shorter Adam's Apple [Bonus Track]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$8.34 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.64 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- McCoy Tyner Dimensions (CD) ~ $5.52
- Released: September 2, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Blue Note Records
- 1.Adams Apple
- 2.502 Blues
- 3.El Gaucho
- 6.Crazy Horse
- 7.The Collector
Personnel: Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Reggie Workman (bass); Joe Chambers (drums).
Producer: Alfred Lion.
Recorded on February 3 & 24, 1966. Includes liner notes by Don Heckman and Michael Cuscuna.
Personnel: Wayne Shorter (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (piano); Joe Chambers (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Rudy Van Gelder.
Liner Note Authors: Don Heckman; Bob Blumenthal.
Recording information: Van Gelder Studios, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (02/24/1966).
Photographer: Francis Wolff.
For ADAM'S APPLE Wayne Shorter returned to the simple quartet format for the last time in his solo career. This date from 1966 shows the saxophonist firmly between his modal style of the early '60s and his more experimental avant-garde period that was to come with albums like SCHIZOPHRENIA and SUPER NOVA. The effect of Shorter's membership in Miles Davis' legendary group is evident, as his improvisations here are more adventurous and his rhythmic drive more pointed and angular than previous efforts. Above all, this session gives us one last look at Shorter at his most unveiled.
The soulful opening title track is a direct precursor to the jazz-rock style that would dominate the jazz world in the late '60s and '70s. A more traditional feel is incorporated for the dark "502 Blues (Drinkin' and Drivin')," a beautiful showcase for Shorter's sensitive side. The bossa nova "El Gaucho" is a highlight and one the saxophonist's most overlooked compositions. Of special note, the classic "Footprints" is presented here for the first time, several months before it was recorded by the Davis group. The delicate ballad "Teru," the bouncing "Chief Crazy Horse" and the bonus swinger "The Collector" complete this must-have session.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Pete Fountain Pete's Beat (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE