- Released: October 29, 2002
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Capitol
Spin - 2/93, p.85
"...his storytelling voice has the soothing assuredness of Huckleberry Hound....[it] is tied in our consciousness with Sheriff Andy Taylor, and fond, safe memories of Mayberry, U.S.A...."
- 1.The Fishin' Hole
- 2.What It Was, Was Football (Parts 1 & 2)
- 4.Love Poems: "To The Lovely Juanita Beasley"
- 5.Make Yourself Comfortable
- 6.North Carolina, My Home State
- 7.The Preacher And The Bear
- 8.Romeo & Juliet (Parts 1 & 2)
- 9.Love Poems: "Togetherness"
- 10.Swan Lake
- 11.Flop Eared Mule
- 13.The Discovery Of America
- 14.Don't Look Back
- 15.Opera Carmen
- 16.Andy And Cleopatra
- 17.The Midnight Special
- 18.The Andy Griffith Theme
Andy Griffith narrates stories and sings.
Personnel includes: Andy Griffith (vocals); Brownie McGhee (guitar).
Includes liner notes by Vicki Arkoff, Mark And Brian, and Andy Griffith.
Digitally remastered by Larry Walsh (1992, Capitol Recording Studios, Hollywood, California).
American Originals unexpectedly revived Andy Griffith's musical career. Thanks to a series of television commercials, the album became a hit, even if it never charted -- then again, the album was never designed with the charts in mind; it was targeted at the legions of Griffith fans who grew up on The Andy Griffith Show and currently watched Matlock. As such, it contained a bunch of stories, poems, and songs -- some original, most classics -- all of which create a mythical small-town America, a theme that should be familiar to any fan of Griffith. There's humor, but it's not a comedy record -- it's a record filled with warmth and humanity, one that comes close to capturing the spirit of Griffith. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine