Sweet The Best of Sweet [Capitol 1993]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.42 (37% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by T. Rex ~ 20th Century Boy: The Ultimate Collection ~ $9.89
- by Sweet ~ Desolation Boulevard ~ $7.56
- by Sweet ~ Greatest Hits ~ $9.90
- by Alice Cooper ~ Mascara & Monsters: The Best of Alice Cooper ~ $10.64
- by Hot Chocolate ~ Their Greatest Hits ~ $8.98
Products with a similar style:
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $8.34
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive Freeways (CD) ~ $5.97
- Released: November 17, 1992
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Capitol
Entertainment Weekly - 6/18/93, p.57"...Funny how this reissue is more fun than 90 percent of today's prefab pop..." - Rating: A
- 1.Little Willy
- 2.Wig-Wag Bam
- 4.The Ballroom Blitz
- 5.Teenage Rampage
- 6.The 6-Teens
- 7.Fox On The Run
- 9.The Lies In Your Eyes
- 10.Lost Angels
- 11.Fever Of Love
- 12.Stairway To The Stars
- 13.Love Is Like Oxygen
- 14.California Nights
- 15.Mother Earth
- 16.Sixties Man
Sweet: Brian Connolly (vocals); Andy Scott (guitar); Steve Priest (bass); Mick Tucker (drums).
Includes liner notes by Vicki Arkoff.
Digitally remastered by Kevin Reeves.
Personnel: Brian Connolly (vocals); Andy Scott (guitar); Mick Tucker (drums).
Liner Note Author: Vicki Arkoff.
Recording information: 1971-1979.
Photographer: Dick Barnatt.
Is Sweet nothing more than a time capsule from the bell-bottomed '70s? Surely, the band's fey appearance doesn't do much for ensuring a legacy of pride. All glam pretensions aside, when one lines up all the band's best singles in a row it's an indisputable feast of delirious hooks, pop throwaways, and car-radio screamers. Sweet was something like a hard pop version of the Monkees in that producers-songwriters Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman dictated the group's output with an eye on the teen market. The early '70s saw a flurry of immediate singles blast out of this "collaboration": "Little Willy," "Wig Wam Bam," and "Blockbuster" all crackle and zap with hard pop confection.
After the band broke away from Chinn and Chapman with DESOLATION BOULEVARD, Sweet took on a decidedly harder edge, shying away from its bubblegum beginnings. As evidenced here, the decision was a smart one as it culminated in the band's signature song "Fox on the Run" which packed an FM-ready wallop. Elsewhere, "Lost Angels," "The 6-Teens," and "Love Is like Oxygen" demonstrate the band knew its own way around a pop hook and could create songs as accessible as their earlier work with considerably more texture to boot.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
I Wonder What She's Doing Tonite: The Best of Boyce & Hart (CD)(4)
$13.99 Super Savings
Action! - The Songs of Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart [Import] (CD)
$14.81 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 73 ratings.
Based on 73 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra Hey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE