Lee Morgan Lee Way
Only 6 copies left
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Freddie Hubbard The Artist Selects (CD) ~ $5.98 (Save 63%)
- Cannonball Adderley The Best of The Capitol Years (CD) ~ $12.05
- Cannonball Adderley / Kenny Clarke Bohemia After Dark (24-Bit with Bonus Tracks) (CD) ~ $10.33
- Released: August 27, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Blue Note Records
JazzTimes - 2/96, pp.83-84"...one of Morgan's greasiest, down and dirty blowing sessions, featuring the trumpeter at his most emotional..."
Musician - 9/95, p.90"...unearthed...gem....Two fine Calvin Massey compositions...prove a fine frame for Morgan's expressive trumpet solos, and bookend two relaxed blowing blues..."
Jazziz - 10/95, p.36"...a forgotten classic....Morgan struts and shouts his way through four lengthy tracks..."
- 1.These Are Soulful Days
- 2.The Lion And The Wolff
- 3.Midtown Blues
- 4.Nakatini Suite
Personnel: Lee Morgan (trumpet); Jackie McClean (alto saxophone); Bobby Timmons (piano); Paul Chambers (bass); Art Blakey (drums).
Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on April 28, 1960. Originally released on Blue Note (84034). Includes liner notes by Nat Hentoff and Bob Blumenthal.
In the 1960's hard-bop sweepstakes, one of Freddie Hubbard's true rivals was Lee Morgan. The late Morgan was known for his brassy, searing style, but he could be tender and lyrical as well. Recorded in 1960 (significantly before Morgan's success with THE SIDEWINDER), LEE-WAY is in many ways one of the most quintessential hard bop discs ever recorded. The band is incredible, practically an edition of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers: Blakey on drums, Bobby Timmons's earthy piano, Jackie McLean's acidic, fluid alto saxophone, and Miles Davis's bassist Paul Chambers. This is primo, driving hard bop, with slight overtones of the era's soul-jazz sound.
Groovin' High: The Ultimate Trumpet Collection (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$8.84 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE