The Box Tops Soul Deep: Best of The Box Tops
|You Save:||$1.32 (9% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by The Grass Roots ~ All Time Greatest Hits [Import] ~ $8.67
- by The Buckinghams ~ Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (A Collection) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Big Star ~ Third / Sister Lovers ~ $10.78
Products with a similar style:
- Released: January 27, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sony BMG Music
Rolling Stone - 12/26/96, p.189"...the young Chilton worked his grainy voice and conversational phrasing like an American Steve Winwood....crammed with well-turned pop-soul gems, and the sonic details, like the electric sitar in 'Cry Like A Baby,' are exquisite."
- 1.The Letter
- 2.Neon Rainbow
- 3.Happy Times
- 4.Cry Like A Baby
- 5.Fields Of Clover
- 6.Choo Choo Train
- 7.She Shot A Hole In My Soul
- 8.People Gonna Talk
- 9.I Met Her In Church
- 10.Sweet Cream Ladies, Forward March
- 12.I Must Be The Devil
- 13.Soul Deep
- 14.I Shall Be Released
- 15.(The) Happy Song
- 16.Turn On A Dream
- 17.I See Only Sunshine
- 18.You Keep Tightening Up On Me
The Box Tops: Alex Chilton (vocals, guitar, bass); Gary Talley (guitar, banjo, sitar, bass); Rick Allen (harmonica, trumpet, bass); Bill Cunningham (organ, bass); Tom Boggs (drums).
Additional personnel: Reggie Young (guitar); Bobby Wood (piano); Bobby Emmons (organ); Tommy Cogbill (bass); Gene Chrisman (drums).
Producers: Dan Penn, Tommy Cogbill, Chips Moman.
Compilation producer: Bob Irwin.
Includes liner notes by Mitchell Cohen.
Led by a teenager named Alex Chilton, this is some nifty northern soul and includes "The Letter" and "Cry Like a Baby."
Before settling for enduring cult fame with Big Star, Alex Chilton enjoyed ephemeral pop stardom as a singer with Memphis group the Box Tops. Their first hit, "The Letter," was a tantalizingly short and perfect pop song-from its drum-tapped intro to its sound effects-drenched fadeout. In an effort to sustain momentum after this 1967 chart topper, the rest of the band was kept out of the studio while the American Sound studio mafia backed the gravel-voiced teenage Chilton under the supervision of producer Dan Penn.
The group had a total of ten Top 100 hits, all included here. The finest of these, "Cry Like a Baby," is an impeccable slice of blue-eyed soul penned by Penn and Spooner Oldham. The pair was less successful with its other compositions, leaving it to Wayne Carson Thompson to conjure up "The Letter," "Neon Rainbow," and the stirring "Soul Deep." Alongside the hits, SOUL DEEP includes seven B-sides-all but one of which also appeared on the group's quartet of original albums-and an album-only cover of the Clifford Curry hit "She Shot a Hole in My Soul."
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Diane Schuur Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE