- Released: April 28, 2008
- Label: Phantom Sound & Vision
- 1.Old Songs, The - (previously unreleased)
- 2.Young Roger, Esq - (live)
- 3.Gunga Din - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Sir Andrew Barton
- 5.Lord Randall
- 6.Mandalay - (previously unreleased)
- 7.Slip Jigs and Reels - (previously unreleased)
- 8.Fair Annie
- 9.Danny Deever
- 10.Tyne of Harrow - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Cholera Camp
- 12.Bitter Withy, The - (live)
- 13.Trees They Do Grow High, The - (live)
- 14.Way Down Town
- 15.The Black and Bitter Night
- 16.The Exile's Song
- 17.Shallow Brown
Personnel: Peter Bellamy (background vocals); Keith "Midge" Marsden, Steve Tilston, John Wade (background vocals).
Audio Remasterer: Mike Hockenhull.
Author: Peter Bellamy.
Arranger: Peter Bellamy.
As the ultimate British folk and folk-rock imprint of the late '70s, Free Reed kept alive--during punk's peak--the intersection of traditional and contemporary British music pioneered in the late '60s by Fairport Convention. This installment, THE BALLADS OF PETER BELLAMY, collects performances by the singular master balladeer of the British folk revival Peter Bellamy. As both a strict traditionalist (he perfected a capella Norfolk balladry) and an artistic radical (his first Free Reed album in 1977 was a full-length ballad opera), Bellamy has no peers. This collection finds his impactful and tremulous voice weaving through career highlights (with some unreleased tracks as well) with the accompaniment of his own guitar or concertina and the backing vocals of the Watersons and the Copper Family. A gem of traditional British folk.