Shirley Collins No Roses
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$9.90 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.09 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 13, 2004
- Label: Castle
Uncut - p.1415 stars out of 5 - "Collins is fearless, singing louder than ever required of her, but pitch perfect and drawing out every ounce of drama and emotion."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1304 stars out of 5 - "Full of shivery moments."
- 1.Claudy Banks - (with Shirley Collins)
- 2.Little Gypsy Girl - (with Shirley Collins)
- 3.Banks of the Bann - (with Shirley Collins)
- 4.Murder of Maria Marten - (with Shirley Collins)
- 5.Van Dieman's Land - (with Shirley Collins)
- 6.Just as the Tide Was a Flowering - (with Shirley Collins)
- 7.White Hare - (with Shirley Collins)
- 8.Hal-an-Tow - (with Shirley Collins)
- 9.Poor Murdered Woman - (with Shirley Collins)
This album's significance rivals that of Dylan's plugging in at Newport. Shirley Collins joins the electrified Albion Country Band, which featured members of Fairport Convention, including Richard Thompson and Ashley Hutchings. This is a startling confluence of forms, as the full rock sound meets Shirley's enchanting balladry. Touching on love and loss, murder and rebirth, these songs are sometimes harrowing yet immensely satisfying in their delivery. "Murder of Maria Marten" illustrates that point as deep textures coalesce making for a driving, almost Celtic rock sound. "The Little Gypsy Girl" drifts about in a smoky haze. NO ROSES is another bit of proof that Collins is one of the finest interpreters of English ballad and song, and going electric does nothing but enhance her artistry.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE