Barracudas Plane View of The Barracudas
|CYBER SALE:||$5.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.78 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
A great set from the Barracudas, one of the best-selling '60s garage/frat bands on the Justice label.
- 1.I Can't Believe
- 2.Not Fade Away
- 3.I Call Your Name
- 5.Blue Feeling
- 6.I'm A Lover Not A Fighter
- 7.I'll Never Fall In Love
- 8.Feel A Whole Lot Better
- 9.All My Lovin'
- 10.I'm A Man
The Barracudas: Mike Parker, Chris Layne, Sam Shaw, Don Thurston, Butch Earnhardt III.
Includes original release liner notes.
Personnel: Charles Burgess Earnhardt II, Michael Anthony Parker, Donald Edward Thurston, Christopher Cooper Layne, George Shaw (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Chris Cooper ; Michael Anthony .
One of the better albums to come out of Calvin Newton's Justice Records label, A Plane View of the Barracudas has been selling for big bucks in Europe for years, partly based on the fact that there weren't many more than a thousand copies pressed. The CD is a welcome addition to the catalog. These boys may have been a little sloppy, but they were ambitious, and they had the skills to realize a lot of those goals. As an extended jam, the version of "I'm a Man" here may be the best rendition this side of the Yardbirds' classic, and adds a few layers of pyrotechnics that Jeff Beck and company weren't ready to ignite; lead guitarist Mike Parker has a field day romping and stomping over the basic material, and Sam Shaw's bass swells and surges beneath Parker's work. Donnie Thurston sounds like he's playing on cardboard boxes, but that's par for the course on a recording like this, and not necessarily a problem. "Shotgun" closes the album and CD, and is a pretty decent cover of a then current soul hit. The notes are minimal, but the music does truly speak for itself. Strangely enough, only their covers of Lennon-McCartney tunes like "I Call Your Name" don't come off too well (though their version of "All My Loving" is pretty cool), but overall, the mix of folk-rock, soul, and blues-rock works beautifully. This must've been a great record to play at dance parties. It's also easy to see why the Barracudas did well on the frat circuit in Virginia and other East Coast locales; they must have been great live. ~ Bruce Eder
Children of Nuggets: Original Artyfacts From The Second... (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,381
- UPC: 090431060629
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~ $7.87 CYBER SALE
- 21 Guns Salute (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER SALE
- 2nd II None Classic 220 (CD-R) ~ $11.98 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Best of 2Pac Pt. 1: Thug (CD) ~ $9.45 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac The Best of Pt. 1: Thug [Clean] (CD) ~ $6.44 CYBER SALE
Rock & Pop: Power Pop Music Categories:
- Badfinger Badfinger / Wish You Were Here / In Concert at the BBC, 1972-1973 (2-CD) ~ $16.04 CYBER SALE
- Badfinger The Best of Volume 2 (CD) ~ $13.25 CYBER SALE
- Badfinger No Dice (Remastered) (CD) ~ $17.08 CYBER SALE
- Badfinger Say No More (CD) ~ $17.49 CYBER SALE
- Badfinger Straight Up (Remastered) (CD) ~ $16.55 CYBER SALE