Cher 3614 Jackson Highway
17 copies available
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$14.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.18 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 11, 2008
- Label: Rhino/Wea Uk
- 1.For What It's Worth
- 2.(Just Enough to Keep Me) Hangin' On
- 3.(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay
- 4.Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You
- 5.I Threw It All Away
- 6.I Walk on Guilded Splinters
- 7.Lay, Baby, Lay
- 8.Please Don't Tell Me
- 9.Cry Like a Baby
- 10.Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
- 11.Save the Children
Personnel includes: Cher (vocals).
Recorded at Muscle Shoals Studio, Muscle Shoals, Alabama, 1969-1970.
Personnel: Cher (vocals); Eddie Hinton (guitar); Barry Beckett (keyboards); Roger Hawkins (drums); Susan Pilkington, Jeanie Greene, Donna Thatcher, Mary Holliday (background vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Ward Lamb; Richie Unterberger.
Recording information: Gold Star Studios (04/1968-10/1970); Muscle Shoals Studio, Muscle Shoals, AL (04/1968-10/1970).
Photographer: Stephen Paley.
Arrangers: Greg Poree; Stan Vincent; Tom Dowd.
Astute pop/rock music fans might note the familiarity of 3614 JACKSON HIGHWAY as the former home of the legendary Muscle Shoals Sound Studio. As the Atlantic Records production team: Jerry Wexler (executive vice president), Tom Dowd (vice president in charge of engineering), and Arif Mardin (director of A&R) had done six months earlier on DUSTY IN MEMPHIS, they chose to juxtapose their pop diva with a band affectionately known as the Swampers--yes, the same ones immortalized in Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama." This quintet includes the talents of Eddie Hinton (lead guitar), Jimmy Johnson (rhythm guitar), Barry Beckett (keyboards), David Hood (bass), and Roger Hawkins (drums). These men were directly responsible for the sound of such timeless classics as Percy Sledge's "When a Man Loves a Woman," Aretha Franklin's "I Never Loved a Man," and Arthur Conley's "Sweet Soul Music." Throughout 3614 JACKSON HIGHWAY they are able to create a similar seminal R&B vibe. The track list readily suggests the incongruity of Cher covering the likes of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth," Dr. John's "I Walk on Guilded Splinters," and not one, but two Bob Dylan tracks: "Lay Lady Lay" and "Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You." However, a closer examination reveals that not only does Cher have soul, but the Swampers are the quintessential foil for her decidedly unique style.
Top Hits of the Sixties: 40 Original Tracks (2-CD)
$14.43 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE