- Audio Commentary with Director Richard Fleischer and Classic Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
- The Making of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Featurette
- Jules Verne & Walt Disney - Explorers of the Imagination Behind-The-Scenes Featurette
- Touring the Nautilus
- Much, Much More!
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 13, 2003
- Originally Released: 1954
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.55
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.55
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- THX Certified Audio
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Shorts: "Grand Canyonscope"
- Additional Audio Material: Captain Nemo's Organ Music
- Comparisons: Film-to-Storyboard Comparison
- Audio Commentary: Richard Fleischer - Director, Rudy Behlmer - Historian
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Radio Spots
- Peter Lorre's ADR Tracks
- THE MAKING OF 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA
- The Humboltsquid: Real Sea Monster!
- The Musical Legacy of Paul Smith
- Touring The Nautilus
- Lost Treasure: The Sunset Squid Sequence
- Monsters of The Deep
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Production Art
- Movie Merchandise
- Script Excerpt
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1954 -
Best Art Direction - Set Decoration (Color)
Academy Awards 1954 -
Best Special Effects
Entertainment Weekly - 05/16/2003
"...The Disney studio's first American-made live-action spectacle remains one of its best..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Climb aboard the Nautilus...and into a strange undersea world of spellbinding adventure! Kirk Douglas, Paul Lukas and Peter Lorre star as shipwrecked survivors taken captive by the mysterious Captain Nemo, brilliantly portrayed by James Mason. Wavering between genius and madness, Nemo has launched a deadly crusade across the seven seas. But can the captive crew expose his evil plan before he destroys the world? Disney's brilliant Academy Award-winning adaptation of Jules Verne's gripping tale makes 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea a truly mesmerizing masterpiece!
Walt Disney's fun, live-action adaptation of Jules Verne's classic science-fiction story features some of the best special effects produced in the 1950s. Captain Nemo, the commander of a futuristic submarine called the Nautilus, rescues the survivors of a shipwreck and takes them on an incredible journey far below the ocean's surface. They encounter numerous wonders of the sea, including an enormous squid which attacks the ship in the film's most unforgettable sequence. Academy Awards: Best Special Effects, Best Art/Set Direction.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Climb aboard the Nautilus ... and into a strange undersea world of spellbinding adventure! Kirk Douglas, Paul Lukas, and Peter Lorre star as shipwrecked survivors taken captive by the mysterious Captain Nemo, brilliantly portrayed by James Mason. Wavering between genius and madness, Nemo has launched a deadly crusade across the seven seas. But can the captive crew expose his evil plan before he destroys the world' Disney's brilliant Academy Award(R)-winning (1955, Best Art Direction and Best Special Effects) adaptation of Jules Verne's gripping tale makes 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA a truly mesmerizing masterpiece!
Essential Cinema |
High Seas |
Theatrical Release |
- The film is 127 minutes, the supplemental material 69 minutes.
- Color by Technicolor; shot in CinemaScope.
- Additional credits: Joseph S. Dubin (orchestrations), Ralph Hammeras (special effects photography), Til Gabbani (underwater photography), Lou Hippe (makeup/hairstylist), Norman Martien (costumer), James Havens (2nd unit director), Tom Connors Jr. & Russ Haverick (assistant directors).
- Copyright The Walt Disney Company 1954.