Elvis Presley King Creole
11 copies available
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.29 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.70 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 15, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: RCA Victor Europe
- 1.King Creole
- 2.As Long as I Have You
- 3.Hard Headed Woman
- 5.Dixieland Rock
- 6.Don't Ask Me Why
- 7.Lover Doll
- 9.Young Dreams
- 10.Steadfast, Loyal and True
- 11.New Orleans
- 12.King Creole - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate take 18)
- 13.As Long as I Have You - (previously unreleased, Movie Version, Take 40, movie version take 4)
- 15.Lover Doll - (previously unreleased, undubbed)
- 16.Steadfast, Loyal and True - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate master)
- 17.As Long as I Have You - (previously unreleased, Movie Version, Take 8, movie version take 8)
- 18.King Creole - (previously unreleased, alternate take, alternate take 3)
This 1997 reissue of KING CREOLE is remixed and remastered from the original three-track master tapes and includes 7 extra tracks.
This is the soundtrack to Presley's fourth movie, restored to the original mono.
Personnel: Elvis Presley (vocals, guitar); Scotty Moore, Tiny Timbrell (guitar); Mahlon Clark (clarinet); Justin Gordon (saxophone); John Ed Buckner (trumpet); Elmer Schneider, Warren D. Smith (trombone); Dudley Brooks (piano); Ray Siegel (bass, tuba); Bill Black, Neal Matthews (bass); D.J. Fontana, Bernie Mattinson (drums); Gordon Stoker (bongos); Hoyt Hawkins (cymbals); Kitty White, The Jordanaires (background vocals).
Reissue producers: Ernst Mikael Jorgensen, Roger Semon.
Recorded at Radio Recorders and The Paramount Scoring Stage, Hollywood, California, January-February 1958.
Personnel: Elvis Presley (vocals, guitar).
Recording information: 01/15/1958-02/11/1958.
King Creole was the last movie that Elvis Presley made before he entered the army in the spring of 1958 -- it was also his last film in black-and-white, as well as his final effort directed by a serious old-time filmmaker (Michael Curtiz); and, apart from a few isolated, quirky efforts like Flaming Star, Change of Habit, and Charro, this was the last of his serious movies, in which Presley was trying hard, pushing himself as an actor and, really, all through the score, as a musician. This is reflected in the soundtrack, which is one of the stronger film-related releases of his career. The original 11 songs included a hot title track by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller that was a dazzling showcase for Scotty Moore's and Tiny Timbrell's guitars as well as Elvis' intense, exciting lead vocal. Leiber and Stoller's "Trouble" and Claude Demetrius' "Hard Headed Woman" have Moore's and Timbrell's electric guitars competing successfully with a five-man brass and reed section. Even "Dixieland Rock," if not up to the level of those other two numbers, features good playing and a strong performance by Presley, and "Young Dreams" is a decent midtempo number. The slow ballads are where the soundtrack falls flat, "As Long As I Have You" coming up to standard but "Lover Doll" and "Don't Ask Me Why" failing to excite or maintain interest; "Crawfish" can only have been included to bring the album up to the minimum acceptable length for an LP. [The 1997 remastered CD features rather upgraded sound and seven additional numbers that are outtakes from the score; these include two alternate takes of "King Creole" with considerably different guitar and brass parts, and two superior alternate versions of "As Long as I Have You," both in a much more spare arrangement -- basically just Presley and a single piano accompanying him -- plus a discarded alternate title track ("Danny"). The undubbed "Lover Doll" is superior to the released version, featuring Presley accompanied by a single acoustic guitar. Even with the bonus cuts, this CD only runs 34 minutes and change.]~ Bruce Eder
Elvis PresleyFlaming Star / Wild in the Country / Follow That Dream (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE