Super K Kollection, Volume 1
by Various Artists
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$5.52 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.45 (57% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Here are some incredible tracks including "Elevator Man" by the British Road Runners, a non-LP version of "Respect" by the Crazy Elephant, as well as rarities by Bobby Bloom, 1910 Fruitgum Co., The Music Explosion, J.C.W. Ratfinks, and more.
- 1.The British Road RunnersElevator Man
- 2.Bobby BloomWhen
- 3.The Chicago Prohibition 1931Hipological
- 4.The Music Explosion Featuring Jamie LyonsHard Core Groovin'
- 5.Detroit Road RunnersWhole Lot Of Lovin'
- 6.Lt. Garcia's Magic Music BoxEl Hombre
- 7.Crazy ElephantRespect Revisited
- 8.1910 Fruitgum Co.The Clock
- 9.J.C.W. RatfinksI Feel A Fever Comin On
- 10.The Charles E. Funk RebellionHouse Of The Rising Sun
- 11.Ohio LtdTake A Big Hit On The Jug
- 12.Silver FleetSister Honky Tonk
- 14.The Super K GenerationMama Lu
Performers include: 1910 Fruitgum Company, Music Explosion.
Liner Note Author: Stephen Kaplan.
This compilation collects a number of obscure singles produced by bubblegum kings Jerry Kasenetz and Jeffrey Katz. Although they were known for sweet and catchy hits like "Goody Goody Gumdrops" and "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy," very little bubblegum-style material pops up on this compilation. Instead, the singles presented on The Super K Kollection, Vol. 1 focus primarily on psychedelia and garage rock. In the psychedelia department, the most memorable tracks are "Elevator Man," a slightly overlong but atmospheric British Road Runners track with a sound reminiscent of late-'60s era Hollies, and "The Clock," a late-period 1910 Fruitgum Company track built on churchy organ and a naggingly catchy singalong hook. In the garage rock area, the strongest tracks include "Hard Core Groovin'," a Nuggets-style track from the Music Explosion that highlights a gritty vocal over a strong combination of organ and fuzz guitar, and "Take a Big Hit on the Jug," an Ohio Ltd. cut that punctuates its power-chord attack with an a cappella singalong chorus driven home by percussion. Interspersed between these cuts is the occasional bit of bubblegum like Bobby Bloom's "When," a tasty song that perks up its organ-driven pop melody with soulful horns. Unfortunately, the listener has to sift through some dull dross to get to the aforementioned highlights: the JCW Ratfinks' "I Feel a Fever Coming On" is garage rock at its most faceless and the Charles E. Funk Rebellion version of "House of the Rising Sun" won't make anyone forget the far superior Animals version. Ultimately, The Super K Kollection, Vol. 1 offers up enough nuggets to make it worthwhile for pop fanatics, but is too uneven and unfocused for the casual listener. ~ Donald A. Guarisco
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Very good music of the 60s Music Lover: Frdric RITZENTHALER from STRASBOURG, Bas-Rhin FR -- March, 14, 2008
This CD contains titles of a quality which makes rare at present
- Sales Rank: 16,091
- UPC: 090431058329
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
Collectables Records Labels:
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $8.27 LABOR DAY
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY