The Rare Breed Super K Kollection
|You Save:||$2.99 (23% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Locating original copies of Rare Breed recordings is almost impossible. Yet here are ten sublime archival Rare Breed tracks, all very rare and most never heard before on compact disc.
- 1.Beg, Borrow And Steal
- 2.Lightning Doesn't Strike Twice
- 3.Lonely Nights
- 4.I Won't Be There
- 5.Where Are You Going To
- 6.All Alone
- 7.Bad Girl
- 8.City Girl
- 9.Dark Nights & Mornings
- 10.Mickey's Monkey
Includes liner notes by Stephen Kaplan.
Liner Note Author: Stephen Kaplan.
Rare Breed was less of a real garage rock band than an outlet for Jeff Katz and Jerry Kasenetz. The duo -- who met as fellow students at the University of Arizona -- came into the music industry on the business end of the paradigm. After graduation, they reconvened in New York, eventually becoming managers of local Greenwich Village talent. Early clients included the Palace Guards and it was after being dissatisfied with their recordings that the pair decided to begin producing their artists themselves. They likewise assembled studio musicians behind a host of different monikers. This compilation gathers ten tracks that Kasenetz and Katz cut under the umbrella of their "Super K Productions" as Rare Breed. Although based in New York, Rare Breed broke into the highly competitive Top 40 radio play lists in the American heartland by claiming the Breed were regional talents from out of Ohio. The ploy worked and Midwest stations created a demand for their debut single "Beg, Borrow & Steal." The song -- a patent rip-off of the frat rock anthem "Louie, Louie" -- became Rare Breed's most significant side, even as it failed to enter the charts. The remainder of the Super K Kollection (1994) presents a combo seemingly modeled on blue-eyed soul aggregates such as the Young Rascals or the Box Tops ("Mickey's Monkey"), with a dash of Brit pop attitude ("All Alone"), pseudo-psychedelia ("Dark Nights & Mornings") as well as tell-tale signs of All-American bubblegum pop on "Lightning Doesn't Strike Twice." "Bad Girl" is not as successful, liberally borrowing its licks from Buddy Holly's "Words of Love," while the arrangement bears a resemblance to the Beau Brummels' "Laugh, Laugh." Kasenetz and Katz would perfect their formula with a string of short-lived 'one-hit-wonder' insignias, namely Ohio Express, 1910 Fruitgum Company,Music Explosion and Crazy Elephant. As Super K Kollection is the only Rare Breed anthology, it is hard not to recommend it for interested parties. ~ Lindsay Planer
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 50,503
- UPC: 090431058022
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
I Wonder What She's Doing Tonite: The Best of Boyce & Hart (CD)
$13.99 Super Savings
Action! - The Songs of Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart [Import] (CD)
$17.04 Super Savings
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE