Carpenters Christmas Portrait
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: A&M
- 1.It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
- 2.Overture (An Old Fashioned Christmas)
- 3.An Old Fashioned Christmas
- 4.Christmas Waltz
- 5.Sleigh Ride
- 6.It's Christmas Time / Sleep Well, Little Children
- 7.Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- 8.Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town
- 9.Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)
- 10.Carol Of The Bells
- 11.Merry Christmas Darling
- 12.Christ Is Born
- 13.O Holy Night
- 14.(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays
- 15.Medley: Here Comes Santa Claus / Frosty The Snowman / Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer / Good King Wenceslas
- 16.Medley: Winter Wonderland / Silver Bells / White Christmas
- 17.Ave Maria
- 18.Selections From "Nutcracker": Overture Miniature / Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairies / Valse Des Fleurs
- 19.Little Altar Boy
- 20.I'll Be Home For Christmas
- 21.Silent Night
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Carpenters: Karen Carpenter (vocals); Richard Carpenter (keyboards).
Additional personnel includes: Bob Messenger (tenor saxophone); Pete Morgan (acoustic bass); Joe Osborn (electric bass); Ron Tutt, Barry Morgan, Cubby O'Brien (drums).
The Carpenters were just about the last adult pop outfit of their era with anything resembling rock credibility (they did have a little of the latter in the early days, and weren't a kid act like the Osmonds) who could have pulled off a straight Christmas album. And they did it in superb style here, illuminated throughout by the delightful, complex, often playful arrangements, courtesy of Peter Knight, Richard Carpenter, and Billy May. Actually, for a change on a Carpenters album, Richard is the dominant personality on display across this record, as both co-arranger and producer, as well as the mastermind behind the project; Karen Carpenter's voice is also prominent, to be sure, most notably on "Merry Christmas, Darling" and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and she threw herself into this next-to-last completed project (and their final release before a two-year hiatus), but it's Richard who comes to the fore everywhere here, in ways that are impossible to ignore. And the results are mightily impressive, as the mood never slackens in what amounts to a wall-to-wall celebration of the Christmas holiday. After a suitably festive introductory section, Karen Carpenter's solo voice comes up on the "Christmas Waltz" and the proceedings really take off, carrying us into the most engaging rendition of Leroy Anderson's "Sleigh Ride" that has come down in many a year, and it only gets better from there, through a brace of holiday staples that end up sounding fresh in her voice and his arrangements. There's not a slack moment on this album, which is also, curiously, one of the few Carpenters' albums that managed to sound good in every CD edition so far released on it (most of the others needed to be upgraded). ~ Bruce Eder
CarpentersThe 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The...
$6.75 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 2 (CD)
$8.49 on SALE
This Is Your Life - Ultimate Collection, Volume 1 (3-DVD)
$12.98 on SALE
Sold OutSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 110 ratings.
Based on 110 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE