Sam Cooke Ain't That Good News
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 17, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Abkco
Description by OLDIES.com:
Personnel includes: Sam Cooke (vocals); Rene Hall, Joseph Hooven (arranger, conductor); The Soul Stirrers.
Recorded at RCA Studio, Hollywood, California in 1964-65.
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Howard Roberts , Norman Bartold, John Pisano, Leroy Crume, Allan Reuss, Barney Kessel, Clifton White (guitar); Joseph R. Gibbons (banjo); John DeVoogdt, Darrel Terwilliger, Robert Barene, Irving Lipschultz, Tibor Zelig, Jack Pepper, Leonard Malarsky, Sidney Sharp, Israel Baker, Arnold Belnick, Ralph Schaeffer, William Kurash (violin); Alexander Neiman, Harry Hyams (viola); Emmet Sargeant , Jesse Ehrlich (cello); Jewell L. Grant, Edgar Redmond, Plas Johnson , Red Tyler, William Green (saxophone); John Anderson , Melvin Lastie (trumpet); William Hinshaw (French horn); Milt Bernhart, Johnny Halliburton, Harry Betts, Louise Blackburn, John Ewing , Dave Wells , Ernie Tack (trombone); Lincoln Mayorga (piano, celesta); Harold Battiste, Jr., Raymond Johnson (piano); Emil Radocchia (marimba, timpani, percussion); Earl Palmer , Eddie Hall, Hal Blaine, John Boudreaux (drums); Linwood Mitchell (percussion); George Tipton, The Carole Lombard Quartet, Gwen Johnson, Jimmie Outler, Robert Tebow, Jackie Ward, James Bryant, J.J. Farley, Paul Foster, Richard Gibbs, S.R. Crain (background vocals).
Recording information: RCA Studio, Hollywood, CA (02/28/1963-01/30/1964).
Arrangers: Joe Hooven; Rene Hall.
This album, which was sadly to be Sam Cooke's last, found him exercising a hard-won creative freedom to fine effect. You can hear it most clearly in the moving, socially relevant ballad "A Change Is Gonna Come." But it doesn't stop there. Cooke dips into the well of country music for a version of the classic "Tennessee Waltz" that is startling in its transformative ability, as he accomplishes a feat that no one but Ray Charles himself was capable of at the time--turning country seamlessly into soul. The lighthearted "Another Saturday Night" paints a detailed portrait of loneliness that's fully charged with humor rather than desperation, showing how Cooke could straddle several emotions at once within the same song. AIN'T THAT GOOD NEWS is the sound of a man at the peak of his powers, flexing all of his musical muscles. It's just a shame that this was to be the soul legend's swan song.
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Mary WellsThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$6.74 LABOR DAY
Sam Cooke - Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke (Book)
$4.23 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.65 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! Feels Good / Little Walter (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 5 (2-CD) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE