The Animals Retrospective
Only 5 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.55 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.43 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 20, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: ABKCO
Rolling Stone - p.1924 stars out of 5 - "The Animals were the most authentic-sounding R&B band to emerge from the British Invasion of the mid-Sixties....An essential collection."
Rolling Stone - p.154Included in Rolling Stone's The 10 Best Reissues & Anthologies Of 2004 - "The Animals finally get a best-of set that shows off the breadth and ferocity of their Sixties-hit streak..."
- 1.House Of The Rising Sun
- 2.I'm Crying
- 3.Baby Let Me Take You Home
- 4.Gonna Send You Back To Walker
- 5.Boom Boom
- 6.Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
- 7.Bring It On Home To Me
- 8.We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
- 9.It's My Life
- 10.Don't Bring Me Down
- 11.See See Rider
- 12.Inside - Looking Out
- 13.Hey GYP
- 14.Help Me Girl
- 15.When I Was Young
- 16.A Girl Named Sandoz
- 17.San Franciscan Nights
- 20.Sky Pilot
- 21.White Houses
- 22.Spill The Wine
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
The Animals: Alan Price (keyboards); Chas Chandler (bass instrument); Eric Burdon, John Steel , Hilton Valentine.
Personnel: Eric Burdon (vocals); John Weider (guitar, violin); Vic Briggs (guitar, piano, vibraphone); Howard H. Scott , Hilton Valentine (guitar); Charles Miller (flute); Royal Scots Guard Pipe And Drum Marching Band (bagpipe, percussion); Lee Oskar (harmonica); Alan Price (piano, organ); Lonnie Jordan, Dave Rowberry (organ); Barry Jenkins (drums, percussion); Harold Brown , John Steel (drums); Thomas R. Allen, Jr. (percussion).
Additional personnel: War.
Audio Remixers: Eddie Kramer; Gary Kellgren; Vic Briggs.
Liner Note Author: Jim Bessman.
Recording information: Kingsway Recording Studio, London, England (01/22/1964-??/??/1970); Mayfair Recording Studio, New York, NY (01/22/1964-??/??/1970); RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA (01/22/1964-??/??/1970); Sunset-Highland Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA (01/22/1964-??/??/1970); Wally Heider Recording Studio, San Francisco, CA (01/22/1964-??/??/1970).
Arrangers: Vic Briggs; Horace Ott; Dave Rowberry.
Today the most recognition the Animals get is "House of the Rising Sun" being played on oldies radio, but in the mid-1960s they were a powerful part of the British Invasion, often reckoned on a par with the Beatles, the Stones, and the Who. Like those bands, the Animals had strong roots in blues and R&B, but, in their original incarnation, they stayed closer to those roots than their peers did. This definitive compilation, masterfully assembled by the ABKCO think tank of Teri Landi and Jody Klein, shows the tough, uncompromising use to which the Animals put their American influences. John Lee Hooker's "Boom Boom" is recast as a raw garage rocker glazed with Alan Price's sinister organ riffs, and the aforementioned "House of the Rising Sun" is transformed from a traditional folk lament to an urgent, ominous piece of churning tumult.
Of course, the group skillfully expanded those roots (with the help of some great writers), and turned out some classic working-class-rebel anthems ("We Gotta Get Out of This Place," "It's My Life"). By '67, the original lineup disbanded, and Eric Burdon led a new batch of Animals into a psychedelic West Coast sound ("San Franciscan Nights," "Monterey"). The Animals may not be given pride of place in the rock history books, but RETROSPECTIVE shows that they fully deserve it.
? and The MysteriansQuestion Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings)
$11.03 on SALE
Hullabaloo - The Best of Hullabaloo, Collection 3 (DVD)
$12.84 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 81 ratings.
Based on 81 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)(20)
$11.65 Super Savings
Something About Suburbia: The Sixties Sounds of Tim Andrews (CD)
$17.69 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nelson Riddle & His Orchestra Hey... Let Yourself Go! / C'mon... Get Happy! (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- King Curtis Enjoy Records - The Best of King Curtis (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Doo Wop, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE