- Backstage Footage
- Never-Before-Seen Performance Footage of: John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell & Taj Mahal
- Ruminations & Musings from: Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, Ian Anderson & others
- Special Appearance by Pete Townshend
- Photo Gallery
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 12, 2004
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: Abkco
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- PCM Stereo
- Subtitles - English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Backstage Footage
- Audio Commentary: Director and Music Performers
- Never Before Seen Footage
- Text/Photo Gallery
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Song for Jeffery - Jethro Tull
- A Quick One (While He's Away) - The Who
- Trapeze Artists
- Aint That A Lot of Love - Taj Mahal
- Something Better - Marianne Faithful
- Fire Eater and Luna
- Mick & John
- Yer Blues - The Dirty Mac
- Whole Lotta Yoko - Yoko Ono/Ivry Girls/The Dirty Mac
- Jumping Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
- Parachute Woman - The Rolling Stones
- No Expectations - The Rolling Stones
- You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Steones
- Symphaty for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
- Salt of the Earth - The Rolling Stones
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 11/01/1996
"...Uncommonly great....Intimate and exceptional performances..." -- Rating: A
Variety - 10/07/1996
"...Heady with late-'60s atmosphere and electrifying moments from musical luminaries at their creative peaks..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/13/1996
"There is not a bad moment in THE ROLLING STONES ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS. The performances by the Who and Dirty Mac are spectacular..."
USA Today - 10/15/2004
"The entire cast wears circus garb that looks left over from The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper cover, and there's a transcendent moment when Mick Jagger and John Lennon get silly with each other."
Mojo - 12/01/2004
"[T]he Stones' performance stands up well alongside their guests..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
"You are about to be transported to another age: swinging London in the late sixties. The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus
is a time capsule. Two days in December 1968 that in many ways capture the spontaneity, aspirations and communal spirit of an entire era ... for a brief moment it seemed that rock 'n' roll would inherit the earth."
- David Dalton, 1995
Songs include: "Song For Jeffrey"(Jethro Tull), "A Quick One While He's Away"(The Who), "Jumping Jack Flash"(The Rolling Stones), and "You Can't Always Get What You Want"(The Rolling Stones).
Filmed as a British television special in December 1968 (which, incidentally, never aired), this good-natured circus hosted by the Rolling Stones features an all-star line-up of rock and roll greats, including Yoko Ono, mystical prog rockers Jethro Tull, Marianne Faithfull, and The Dirty Mac. Amidst the fire-eaters and acrobats, the show-stopping numbers include "Sympathy for the Devil," "No Expectations," "A Quick One (While He's Away)," and others.
- 1.Song For Jeffrey
- 2.A Quick One While He's Away
- 3.Ain't That A Lot of Love
- 4.Something Better
- 5.Yer Blues
- 6.Whole Lotta Yoko
- 7.Jumping Jack Flash
- 8.Parachute Woman
- 9.No Expectations
- 10.You Can't Always Get What You Want
- 11.Sympathy For The Devil
- 12.Salt of The Earth
- 13.Sympathy for the Devil [DVD]
- 14.Salt of the Earth [DVD]
- 15.Bonus Materials [DVD]
Shot in 1968, this concert film (conceived and organized by Mick Jagger) was made in London over a two-day period. The show was literally set in a circus-like atmosphere, with the rock bands dressed in colorful costumes, and acrobats, clowns and other big-top acts performing between sets. The film captures such groups as the Rolling Stones and The Who at the height of their creativity, providing unforgettable entertainment for fans both young and old.
Music (General) |
Music Video |
Pop / Rock |
Rock And Roll |
- Shown at the 1996 New York Film Festival.
- A Rolling Stones presentation.
- Color by Technicolor UK.
- Additional credits: Dave Ashley Smith (sound); Jimmy Miller (live recording producer); Glyn Johns (live recording engineer); Mick Gochanour (associate producer); Robin Klein (post-production producer and editor).
- Shot in 16mm, and blown up to 35mm.
- Although shot in 1968, the film was reportedly never released because The Rolling Stones were unhappy with their performance, and feared that The Who upstaged them. The Stones' plan to re-film their performance was halted by the death of group member Brian Jones.
- Songs include:
"Jumpin' Jack Flash," "Parachute Woman,"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want,"
"Sympathy for the Devil" and "Salt of the Earth"
performed by The Rolling Stones.
"A Quick One While He's Away" performed by The Who.
"Song for Jeffrey" performed by Jethro Tull.
"Ain't That a Whole Lot of Love" performed by Taj Mahal.
"Something Better" performed by Marianne Faithfull.
"Whole Lotta Yoko" performed by Yoko Ono.
"Yer Blues" performed by Dirty Mac (comprised of John
Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, and Mitch
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 124 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 23,807
- UPC: 038781100398
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item