Sam Cooke At the Copa
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 28, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Abkco
- 1.Opening Introduction
- 2.Best Things in Life Are Free
- 3.Bill Bailey
- 4.Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
- 5.Frankie and Johnny
- 6.Medley: Try a Little Tenderness/(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons / Yo
- 7.If I Had a Hammer
- 8.When I Fall in Love
- 9.Twistin' the Night Away
- 10.Band Introductions
- 11.This Little Light of Mine
- 12.Blowin' in the Wind
- 13.Tennessee Waltz
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Cliff White, Bobby Womack (guitar); Harper Cosby (bass); June Gardner (drums); Sticks Evans (percussion); Joe Mele's Copacabana Band.
Recorded live at the Copacabana, New York, New York on July 8, 1964.
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Clif White, Clifford White, Bobby Womack (guitar); John Altman (flute, clarinet, saxophone); Joseph Foglia (flute, saxophone); Tony Ferina, William McLeish Smith, George Barrow (clarinet, saxophone); Clyde Reasinger, George Triffon (trumpet); Alfred Cobbs, Ronald Plumby, Dicky Harris, Bart Varsalona (trombone); Albert "Gentleman June" Gardner (drums); Sticks Evans (percussion).
Audio Remixer: Steve Rosenthal.
Liner Note Authors: Don Paulsen; Peter Guralnick.
Recording information: Copacabana, New York City, NY [live] (07/08/1964).
Photographer: Wally Seawell.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Eugene Padden; Joe Mele ; Virgil "Stinky" Davis.
Arranger: Rene Hall.
In 1964, when this concert at New York City's legendary Copacabana night club was recorded, Sam Cooke was at the top of his game, having charted numerous times with his unique blend of pop and soul. The success doesn't seem to have gone to his head, though: he sounds relaxed and conversational throughout this intimate performance.
Accompanied by a band that includes Bobby Womack on guitar, Cooke brings his R&B tendencies further to the fore than on his immaculately produced studio work. He moves deftly through his own hits, like "You Send Me" and "Twistin' The Night Away," but it's on the folk songs "If I Had A Hammer" and "Blowin' In The Wind" that he really stretches out, proving himself a gifted interpreter unbound by stylistic constrictions. AT THE COPA is an essential part of the Cooke canon.
Sam CookeOne Night Stand: Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963
One Night Stand: Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 (CD)(31)
The Complete Solo Singles, As & Bs, 1957-62 (2-CD)
$14.22 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)(20)
$11.02 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Ike & Tina Turner Golden Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Isley Brothers / The O'Jays Take 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE