Sam Cooke At the Copa
14 copies available
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 28, 2013
- Originally Released: 2013
- Label: Abkco
- 1.Opening Introduction
- 2.Best Things in Life Are Free
- 3.Bill Bailey
- 4.Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
- 5.Frankie and Johnny
- 6.Medley: Try a Little Tenderness/(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons / Yo
- 7.If I Had a Hammer
- 8.When I Fall in Love
- 9.Twistin' the Night Away
- 10.Band Introductions
- 11.This Little Light of Mine
- 12.Blowin' in the Wind
- 13.Tennessee Waltz
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Cliff White, Bobby Womack (guitar); Harper Cosby (bass); June Gardner (drums); Sticks Evans (percussion); Joe Mele's Copacabana Band.
Recorded live at the Copacabana, New York, New York on July 8, 1964.
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Clif White, Clifford White, Bobby Womack (guitar); John Altman (flute, clarinet, saxophone); Joseph Foglia (flute, saxophone); Tony Ferina, William McLeish Smith, George Barrow (clarinet, saxophone); Clyde Reasinger, George Triffon (trumpet); Alfred Cobbs, Ronald Plumby, Dicky Harris, Bart Varsalona (trombone); Albert "Gentleman June" Gardner (drums); Sticks Evans (percussion).
Audio Remixer: Steve Rosenthal.
Liner Note Authors: Don Paulsen; Peter Guralnick.
Recording information: Copacabana, New York City, NY [live] (07/08/1964).
Photographer: Wally Seawell.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Eugene Padden; Joe Mele ; Virgil "Stinky" Davis.
Arranger: Rene Hall.
In 1964, when this concert at New York City's legendary Copacabana night club was recorded, Sam Cooke was at the top of his game, having charted numerous times with his unique blend of pop and soul. The success doesn't seem to have gone to his head, though: he sounds relaxed and conversational throughout this intimate performance.
Accompanied by a band that includes Bobby Womack on guitar, Cooke brings his R&B tendencies further to the fore than on his immaculately produced studio work. He moves deftly through his own hits, like "You Send Me" and "Twistin' The Night Away," but it's on the folk songs "If I Had A Hammer" and "Blowin' In The Wind" that he really stretches out, proving himself a gifted interpreter unbound by stylistic constrictions. AT THE COPA is an essential part of the Cooke canon.
Sam CookeOne Night Stand: Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 View Details
Sam Cooke - Dream Boogie: The Triumph of Sam Cooke (Book)
$4.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 20 ratings.
Based on 20 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.65 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Tony! Toni! Toné! Feels Good / Little Walter (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine / Use Me (45) ~ $3
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE