Joan Baez Live in Europe '83: Children of the Eighties
- Released: August 19, 1986
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Ariola Germany
- 1.Farewell Angelina - (with Azzurro)
- 2.Warriors of the Sun - (with Azzurro)
- 3.Hard Rain's a Gonna Fal, A - (with Azzurro)
- 4.Lady di and I - (with Azzurro)
- 5.Wozu Sind Kriege Da - (with Azzurro)
- 6.Wenn Unsere Bruder Kommen - (with Azzurro)
- 7.(For the) Children of The - (with Azzurro)
- 8.Love Inside - (with Azzurro)
- 9.Me and Bobby McGee - (with Azzurro)
- 10.No Woman No Cry - (with Azzurro)
- 11.Imagine - (with Azzurro)
- 12.Jaria Hamuda - (with Azzurro)
- 13.Here's to You - (with Azzurro)
- 14.Land of a Thousand Da - (with Azzurro)
German-issued Live compact disc from Joan Baez's concert tour around Europe during 1983. The Ariola Records release has 14 songs, which show the performance of both "No Woman No Cry" and "Imagine" and many other classics.
Personnel: Joan Baez (vocals, guitar).
Not the greatest Joan Baez live album of them all, but a worthy souvenir of her 1980 European tour regardless. The problem lies in her choice of material -- neither Paul Simon's "The Boxer" nor the ever-grating "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" rank among songs that cried out for Baez to re-create them, although the audience sounds enthusiastic throughout, and the version of "Diamonds & Rust" is one of the most powerful she has ever released. But too much of the set sounds weary, and though Baez's voice is as powerful as ever, even she seems to be tiring of some of the songs. Where this album becomes most interesting is in attempting to compile the various different permutations released across Europe. In the U.K., eleven songs included exclusive versions of "Donna Donna" and "Jari Yahamouda." The 12-track French edition included "Pauvre Ruteboeuf," "Le Deserteur" and "Plaisir D'Amour," the German release substituted "For Sasha" and "Kinder (Sind So Kleine Hande)," and the Spanish featured "Maria Dolores," "No Nos Moveran" and "El Rossinyol." All add up to very different experiences for the listener, but still, if you seek just one Baez live album, this one -- whatever permutation you locate -- probably isn't the one you want. ~ Dave Thompson
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)(67)
$9.03 Super Savings
The Very Best of Joan Armatrading [Universal International] (CD)(4)
$9.90 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!