Miles Davis Plays for Lovers [Bonus Tracks]
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.05 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.93 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Prestige
- $1.29 on iTunes1.My Funny Valentine
- $1.29 on iTunes2.You're My Everything
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Smooch
- 4.Just Squeeze Me
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Easy Living
- $1.29 on iTunes6.There Is No Greater Love
- $1.29 on iTunes7.It Never Entered My Mind
- $1.29 on iTunes8.In Your Own Sweet Way
- $1.29 on iTunes9.You Don't Know What Love Is
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Nature Boy
- $1.29 on iTunes11.'Round Midnight
- $0.69 on iTunes12.When I Fall In Love
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); Davey Schildkraut (alto saxophone);
John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Brett Woodman (trombone); Teddy Charles (vibraphone); Horace Silver, Red Garland (piano); Percy Heath, Charles Mingus, Paul Chambers (bass); Philly Joe Jones, Kenny Clarke, Philly Joe Jones, Elvin Jones (drums).
Principally recorded at Van Gelder Studios, Hackensack, New Jersey between 1953 & 1956.
This is part of Fantasy Records "Plays For Lovers" series.
Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); Dave Schildkraut (alto saxophone); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Britt Woodman (trombone); Horace Silver, Red Garland, Charles Mingus (piano); Teddy Charles (vibraphone); Elvin Jones, Kenny Clarke, Max Roach, Philly Joe Jones (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Recording information: New York, NY (1953-1956); Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NY (1953-1956).
Miles Davis Plays for Lovers collects a number of ballads from the trumpeter's mid-'50s albums to create a lovely late-night disc for friends, night owls, and couples in love. The core band for three-quarters of the album consists of trumpeter Davis, tenor John Coltrane, pianist Red Garland, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Philly Joe Jones. There's an elegant beauty to pieces like "My Funny Valentine" and "You're My Everything," featuring the rhythm section's spare, tasteful backdrop and the carefully chosen notes of Davis' and Coltrane's horns. Even when this lineup shifts occasionally, the low-light mood remains. Bassist Charles Mingus lends a hand on "Smooch" and "Easy Living," while pianist Horace Silver chimes in on "You Don't Know What Love Is." There are fabulous takes of "'Round Midnight," originally recorded for Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants, and the peaceful, melancholy closer, "When I Fall in Love." Davis' refined trumpet style, with its full-bodied notes and use of quiet spaces, has reached an early peak here. One also notices the intricate ensemble work by these various groups, with each musician playing just the right number of notes. Plays for Lovers is an exquisite disc that will also serve as a fine introduction to Davis' 1953-1956 work. ~ Ronnie D. Lankford Jr.
Miles Davis / John ColtraneThe Best of Miles Davis & John Coltrane: 1955-1961
$6.02 Super Savings
1970 Isle of Wight Festival: Message To Love (DVD)(67)
$7.83 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)(20)
$4.31 Super Savings
An Evening with Louis Armstrong at Pasadena Civic... (CD)(6)
$12.58 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE