- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 4, 2010
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: Henstooth Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by director Jeremy Paul Kagen
- Original theatrical trailer
- Missing scene
- Interviews with director Jeremy Paul Kagan
- Interview with Rod Steiger
- Behind the scenes footage
- Director's storyboards
- Director's sketches
- Production stills
- Screenplay selections
- Posters, openings & awards
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 08/26/1981
"...First-rate....This a picture which communicates universally..."
New York Times - 04/30/1982
"...[Benson] makes a fine impression as Danny....A gently evocative movie..."
Two young Jewish men, living in America during the time of the second World War, find themselves both united and divided by their faith. One is the son of a Hasidic Jew, and the other is the son of a reformed Jew.
Adaptation of the Chaim Potok novel about the close friendship that develops between two teenage boys in 1940s Brooklyn, one the son of an influential Hasadic spiritual leader, and the other the son of a Zionist professor.
Coming Of Age |
Jewish Heritage |
Race Relations |
- Color by Movielab. Shot with Panavision equipment on location in New York City.
- Film was produced in association with Joseph Harris, Roger Harrison, and Steve Douglas Brown.
- Additional cast: Hildy Brooks (Mrs. Saunders), Kaethe Fine (Shaindel Saunders), Lonny Price (Davey), Evan Handler (Goldberg), Douglas Warhit (Sam), and Jeff Marcus (Schwartzie).
- Additional credits: Mort Abrahams (executive in charge of production) and Donald Sweeney (camera operator).