Rainbow The Very Best of Rainbow
|CYBER SALE:||$5.39 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$4.59 (46% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Deep Purple The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD) ~ $3.99
- Released: July 15, 1997
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Polydor / Umgd
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Rainbow: Ronnie James Dio, Joe Lynn Turner, Graham Bonnet (vocals); Ritchie Blackmore (guitar, bass); Mickey Lee Soule (piano, Mellotron, clavinet, organ); David Rosenthal, Don Airey, Tony Carey, David Stone (keyboards); Jimmy Bain, Craig Gruber, Bob Daisley, Roger Glover (bass); Gary Driscoll, Cozy Powell, Bob Rondinelli, Chuck Burgi (drums).
Additional personnel: Rainer Pietsch (conductor); Munich Philharmonic Orchestra.
Producers: Ritchie Blackmore, Martin Birch, Ronnie James Dio, Roger Glover.
Compilation producer: Bill Levenson.
Engineers include: Gary Edwards, Flemming Rasmussen, Nick Blagona.
Includes liner notes by Pete Frame, Mark Welch, Jerry Bloom.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Graham Bonnet, Joe Lynn Turner, Ronnie James Dio (vocals); Ritchie Blackmore (guitar); Micky Lee Soule (piano, Clavinet, organ, Mellotron); David Rosenthal, Don Airey, David Stone, Tony Carey (keyboards); Cozy Powell, Bob Rondinelli, Chuck Burgi, Gary Driscoll (drums).
Audio Mixer: Martin Birch.
Photographers: Anthony Loew; Fin Costello.
Unknown Contributor Role: Munich Philharmonic Orchestra.
Arranger: Ritchie Blackmore.
The Best of Rainbow compiles 16 of the best tracks from Rainbow's first seven studio albums, wisely avoiding 1977's live On Stage release. The first two tracks from their debut album, 1975's Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, showcases the instant bond that was formed between Blackmore and Ronnie James Dio, especially on "Man on the Silver Mountain." Blackmore changed the band for the following year's Rainbow Rising, with Jimmy Bain replacing bass player Craig Gruber, and Cozy Powell taking percussion duties away from Gary Driscoll. Adding keyboard player Tony Carey helped tracks like "Starstruck" and the lengthy "Stargazer" to sound a little more dimensional and fluent than the group's first effort. All of 1978's Long Live Rock and Roll have Rainbow settling in to a heavier sound with faster guitar riffs, proven on the frantic "Kill the King" and on the string accompanied "Gates of Babylon." With Dio leaving in 1978, Graham Bonnet filled in on vocals for Down to Earth, with Roger Glover playing bass. Although the album gave the band a number 40 hit with "Since You've Been Gone," one of Russ Ballard's creations, Bonnet left thereafter and was replaced by Joe Lynn Turner for the Difficult to Cure album. The album sold on the strength of "I Surrender," one of their best tracks, but the remaining tunes marked the beginning of Rainbow's recession. "Jealous Lover," the B-side to 1981's "Can't Happen Here" is a nice addition to the collection, while the next four tracks from Rainbow's most disappointing releases are best heard here than on their parent albums. For a hits package, The Very Best of Rainbow doubles as both a handy sift through the group's changing lineup and as a good place to start for those who are inquisitive. ~ Mike DeGagne
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 42 ratings.
Based on 42 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Rock & Pop: Hard Rock Music Categories:
- 12 Stones Anthem for the Underdog (CD) ~ $8.73 CYBER SALE
- 30 Seconds to Mars Love Lust Faith + Dreams (CD) ~ $12.56 CYBER SALE
- 30 Seconds to Mars Love Lust Faith + Dreams [Clean] (CD) ~ $12.56 CYBER SALE
- 38 Special 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of .38 Special (CD) ~ $3.99 CYBER SALE
- 38 Special .38 Special (CD) ~ $8.98 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE