Willie Nelson Teatro
Only 7 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.72 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.26 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 1, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Island
Rolling Stone - 5/13/99, p.66Included in Rolling Stone's "Essential Recordings of the 90's."
Rolling Stone - 9/17/98, p.963 Stars (out of 5) - "...most of TEATRO isjust Willie quietly breaking your heart with his easygoing intensity....in classic Big Willie style, he sounds as though he's reaching out for salvation with one hand and pressing the snooze button with the other."
Entertainment Weekly - 9/4/98, p.83"...For the first time in years, Willie sings and plays as if something depended on it. His Texas-rooted sound has always had a south-of-the-border tinge, which Lanois accentuates with TEATRO's bubbling percussion. Half the tunes are Nelson chestnuts, but so radically redone that they're virtually new songs..." - Rating: B+
Uncut - p.145"Lanois' brilliant production reinvents songs...so completely it's like hearing them for the first time."
- 1.Ou Es-Tu, Mon Amour :: Where Are You, My Love?
- 2.I Never Cared For You
- 3.Everywhere I Go
- 4.Darkness On The Face Of The Earth
- 5.My Own Peculiar Way
- 6.These Lonely Nights
- 7.Home Motel
- 8.The Maker
- 9.I Just Can't Let You Say Good-bye
- 10.I've Just Destroyed The World
- 11.Somebody Pick Up My Pieces
- 12.Three Days
- 13.I've Loved You All Over The World
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Willie Nelson (vocals, acoustic guitar); Emmylou Harris (vocals); Tony Mangurian (guitar, drums, percussion); Daniel Lanois (electric guitar, mandolin, omnichord, bass); Brian Griffiths (guitar, slide guitar, mandolin);
Bobbie Nelson (strings, piano, Wurlitzer piano, organ); Micky Raphael (harmonica, bass harmonica); Brad Mehldau (piano, Hammond Organ, vibraphone); Malcolm Burn (organ); Tony Hall (bass); Victor Indrizzo (drums, percussion); Willie Green (drums); Cyril Neville (congas).
All tracks have been digitally mastered using HDCD technology.
TEATRO was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video.
Personnel: Willie Nelson (vocals, acoustic guitar); Emmylou Harris (vocals, background vocals); Brian Griffiths (guitar, slide guitar, mandolin); Daniel Lanois (mandolin, omnichord); Bobbie Nelson (strings, organ, Wurlitzer organ); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Brad Mehldau (piano, vibraphone); Malcolm Burn (organ); Tony Mangurian, Victor Indrizzo (drums, percussion); Willie Green (drums); Cyril Neville (congas).
Audio Mixer: Mark Howard.
Recording information: Teatro.
Editor: Tony Mangurian.
Photographers: Daniel Lanois ; Rocky Schenck.
Unknown Contributor Role: Emmylou Harris.
After working his atmospheric magic on Bob Dylan (TIME OUT OF MIND) and Emmylou Harris (WRECKING BALL), producer Daniel Lanois takes on another American original: Willie Nelson. The result is an album that's at once timeless and up-to-the minute. Lanois brings Willie's instantly recognizable voice front and center, but underscores his acoustic guitar picking with complex percussion and drums, as well as organ and harmonica. The Lanois-written "The Maker" is the most fleshed-out instrumentally, and sounds like an outtake from Harris' WRECKING BALL. Harris herself appears on 11 of the 14 songs, handling the difficult task of singing harmony with Willie's distinctive around-the-beat style phrasing.
Half the songs were written by Willie in the sixties, when his career was on the rise but his personal life was in ruins. The material is almost uniformly despairing, with titles like "I've Just Destroyed The World" and "Darkness on the Face of the Earth." The newer songs, like "Everywhere I Go," have a Spanish lilt, perhaps reflecting the fact that the album was recorded in a converted California theater that once specialized in Mexican movies. While TEATRO may be case of teaching an old dog new tricks, Willie's certainly an apt pupil.
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 62 ratings.
Based on 62 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Merle Haggard My Favorite Memory / Big City (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Soft Rock 70'S (CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE