Quincy Jones Sounds...And Stuff Like That!!
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$6.74 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.14 (32% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: A&M
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Nick Ashford (vocals, percussion); Yolanda McCullough (vocals, background vocals); Gwen Guthrie, Luther Vandross, Patti Austin, Tom Bahler, Valerie Simpson, Vivian Cherry, Chaka Khan, Charles May (vocals); David T. Walker, Eric Gale , Melvin Watson, Wah-Wah Watson (guitar); Gayle Levant (harp); Tom Scott (lyre, flute, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, lyricon); Jerome Reisler, John Wittenberg, Wilbert Nuttycombe, Carl LaMagna, Marvin Limonick, Betty LaMagna, Connie Kupka, Israel Baker, Arnold Belnick, Nathan Ross, Sheldon Sanov, Harry Bluestone, Harry Lookofsky (violin); Meyer Bello, David Schwartz , Leonard Selic, Samuel Boghossian (viola); Gloria Strassner, Dennis Karmazyn (cello); George Young (flute, saxophone, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Hubert Laws, Jerome Richardson, Bill Perkins, Bud Shank, Buddy Collette (flute, saxophone, tenor saxophone); Harold Vick (saxophone, trumpet, flugelhorn); Howard Johnson (saxophone, tuba); David Tofani, Harold Fick (saxophone); Michael Brecker (tenor saxophone); Jon Faddis, Virgil Jones (trumpet, flugelhorn); Chuck Findley, Bill Lamb, Oscar Brashear, Snooky Young (trumpet); Arthur Maebe, David Duke , Sidney Muldrow, Aubrey Bouck, Henry Sigismonti (French horn); Donald Waldrop, Jimmy Cleveland, Robert Payne, Bill Watrous, Charles Loper, Chauncey Welsch (trombone); Alan Raph (bass trombone); Roger Bobo, Tommy Johnson (tuba); Herbie Hancock (piano, electric piano, keyboards); Richard Tee (piano, organ, keyboards); Clark Spangler (synthesizer, programming); Michael Boddicker (synthesizer); Anthony Jackson (bass guitar); Steve Gadd (drums); Ralph MacDonald (percussion); Zachary Sanders, Bill Eaton, Frank Floyd (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Bruce Swedien.
Recording information: A & R Recording, New York, NY; Cherokee Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA; Sound Ideas, New York, NY; Westlake II, Los Angeles, CA.
Illustrator: Brian Davis .
Photographer: Mark Hanauer.
Arrangers: Johnny Mandel; Quincy Jones; Tom Bahler.
With ears dead set on the trends of the moment but still drawing now and then on his jazz past, Quincy Jones came up with another classy-sounding pop album loaded with his ever-growing circle of musician friends. Disco was king in 1978 and Jones bows low with the ebullient dance hit "Stuff Like That" -- which is several cuts above the norm for that genre -- along with a healthy quota of elegantly produced soul ballads. Yet amidst the pop stuff, Jones still manages to do something fresh and memorable within the jazz sphere with a gorgeous chart of Herbie Hancock's "Tell Me a Bedtime Story." Hancock himself sits in impeccably on electric piano, and violinist Harry Lookofsky painstakingly overdubs one of Hancock's transcribed solos on 15 violins. Despite the cast of hundreds that is now de rigueur for Quincy Jones, the record does not sound over-produced due to the silken engineering and careful deployment of forces. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 18 ratings.
Based on 18 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- The Young-Holt Unlimited / Slide Hampton Oh Girl / Somethin' Sanctified (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE