Paul Desmond Bossa Antigua
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: December 1, 2009
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
JazzTimes - 12/99, p.153"...The interplay between [Jim] Hall and Desmond is always great, but the unhurried elegance of BOSSA ANTIGUA is special even for this great team. Three fine alternate takes enhance this very desirable release."
- 1.Bossa Antigua
- 2.The Night Has A Thousand Eyes
- 3.O Gato
- 4.Samba Cantina
- 5.Curacao Doloroso
- 6.Ship Without A Sail
- 8.The Girl From East 9th Street
- 9.The Night Has A Thousand Eyes: Alternate Take
- 10.Samba Cepeda
- 11.O Gato: Alternate Take
This 1999 reissue contains three bonus tracks not on the original release.
Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Jim Hall (guitar); Eugene Wright, Gene Cherico (bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Personnel: Paul Desmond (alto saxophone); Connie Kay (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Lopes.
Liner Note Authors: Paul Desmond; Doug Ramsey.
Recording information: Webster Hall, New York, NY (07/1964-08/1964).
Photographer: Chuck Stewart.
Bossa Antigua picks up the samba-based rim shots of drummer Connie Kay on Take Ten and tries to make a whole new record out of them. While the title track duplicates the original percolating groove of "El Prince," other tracks like "Samba Cantina" revert to a typical bossa nova rhythm of the period, which leads one to conclude that "bossa antigua" is merely whatever Desmond says it is. Of the album's two non-originals, "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes," of course, is made-to-order for Desmond's wistful, sophisticated temperament, and he delivers exactly what a Desmond devotee would expect and love; and "A Ship Without a Sail" has some memorable off-the-cuff solo ideas. Jim Hall is around again to lend subtle rhythm support and low-key savvy in his solos, and like many Desmond companions of this period, he makes a fine sparring partner in the contrapuntal exchanges. The Brubeck Quartet's Gene Wright again lends a sturdy hand on bass. The playing is wonderful throughout, though just missing the full-throttle inspiration of Take Ten. ~ Richard S. Ginell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14 ratings.
Based on 14 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 10,281
- UPC: 886974998129
- Shipping Weight: 0.21/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 38 Special Rockin' Into The Night (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Jazz genre:
- Herbie Hancock Possibilities (DVD + Music CD) ~ 79¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Swinging at His Best (DVD) ~ $1.58 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Billie Holiday Fine And Mellow - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Joe Williams Me And The Blues / The Song Is You (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE