- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 5 hours, 23 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 27, 2010
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: A&E Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Featurettes: Lasting Impressions, an impromtu walkabout with Adrian Lukis and Lucy Briers, Turning Point; uncovering the technical restoration process
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 09/29/2006
"As Elizabeth Bennet, an endlessly endearing heroine with inimitable snap and crackle, the sparkle-eyed Jennifer Ehle is divinely accessible." -- Grade: B-
The bicentennial production of Jane Austen's novel is given the most lavish treatment yet, by UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS director Simon Langton in this television mini-series. PRIDE AND PREJUDICE stars Jennifer Ehle (POSSESSION) as Elizabeth Bennet, a witty and headstrong young woman in 19th century England. When she meets the standoffish Mr. Darcy (Colin Firth), they initially clash, but there may be something deeper behind their animosity. Firth (BRIDGET JONES' DIARY) sets the standard for period film heroes with his portrayal of Mr. Darcy, a character sure to make both minds and hearts race. The classic novel of manners, society, and love includes much of Austen's rich commentary on human nature, and features extensive, gorgeous location shooting in and around historic English country homes.
From Jane Austen's classic novel about the morals and mores of the class system in Georgian England.
The intelligent and spirited Elizabeth Bennet is one of five daughters -- which, during that era, meant trouble: because women cannot inherit, upon her father's death her family's home will become the property of their nearest male relative. Only marriage, preferably to someone wealthy, can ensure her security. But the proud young lady instantly takes offense when Mr. Darcy, a promising newcomer in town, doesn't seem quite admiring enough, and she spurns his advances.
Slowly and painfully, Elizabeth realizes her error, but not before it seems she has lost Mr. Darcy forever.
Based On A Novel |
Period Piece |
Romantic Comedy |
Television / TV Series |
- Developed for television in association with Chestermead Ltd.
- Broadcast originally in the USA on A&E, the Arts & Entertainment Network, January 14, 15 & 16, 1996.
- Also available on video in Canada.
- Additional cast: Polly Maberly (Kitty Bennet); Lucy Briers (Mary Bennet); and Lucy Scott (Charlotte Lucas).
- Additional credits: Julie Scott (associate producer); Paul Brodrick (production manager); Roger Pearce (camera operator); Alf Pamplin (Steadicam); Pip Short (assistant director); Jane Gibson (choreographer); Rupert Scrivener (dubbing mixer); Graham Brown (visual effects designer).
- Actor Colin Firth was born in Hampshire, England in 1961. His father was a history teacher and as a teenager he spent one year in the States. Firth joined the National Youth Theatre in London at 18, then studied at the Drama Centre for three years. He left before graduation to join the West End production of Julian Mitchell's "Another Country." Firth had a role in "Circle of Friends," a 1995 theatrical release.
- Released to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the novel's writing.
- Copyright BBC 1995.
- UPC: 733961206739
- Shipping Weight: 0.30/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items