- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 6 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 27, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Athena
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: 20-page viewer's guide includes what to listen for, questions to consider, avenues for futher learning, glossary, English verse by era, and more
- Lives of the poets
- About the actors
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Sir John Gielgud was nothing if not intimately acquainted with the nuances of poetry, as the single most accomplished Shakespearean actor of his generation. In this 1984 documentary series, compiled by the poet and literary critic Anthony Thwaite, Gielgud leads audiences on a tour of English-language poetry through the ages, touching not only on the giants of English literature such as Shakespeare, Chaucer, Byron, Milton, Yeats and Whitman, but on lesser-known wonders of poetry. The works showcased here are read by such giants as Sir Ralph Richardson, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Dame Peggy Ashcroft and Stacy Keach. Bonus features include a 20-page viewer's guide on what to listen for, profiles of the poets' lives, and information about the participating actors. This set features all 16 complete episodes of the series, with such installments as "Chaucer to Ted Hughes," "Old English," "Milton: 1608-74" and "Victorians: 1837-1901."
Television / TV Series
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 128,721
- UPC: 054961837397
- Shipping Weight: 0.62/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items