The Commitments Commitments (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.79 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.20 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
Danny Elfman Corpse Bride (CD) ~ $11.92
- Released: August 13, 1991
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: MCA
Stereophile (2/93, p.109) - "...its rendition of Soul is deep, solid, and driving...16-year-old lead singer Andrew Strong, who knows the music, has terrific phrasing, great pitch, and an impossibly cool, raspy voice that sounds like a young Joe Cocker..."
- $1.29 on iTunes1.Mustang Sally
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Take Me To The River
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Chain Of Fools
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Dark End Of The Street
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Destination Anywhere
- $0.99 on iTunes6.I Can't Stand The Rain
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Try A Little Tenderness
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Treat Her Right
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Do Right Woman, Do Right Man
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Mr. Pitiful
- $0.99 on iTunes11.I Never Loved A Man
- $0.99 on iTunes12.In The Midnight Hour
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Bye Baby Bye
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Slip Away
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers: P. Bushnell, Kevin Killen, Alan Parker.
Personnel: Maria Doyle, Angeline Ball (vocals, background vocals); Andrew Strong, Niamh Kavanagh (vocals); Conor Brady, Dean Parks (guitar); Felim Gormley (alto saxophone); Carl Geraghty (tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone); Ronan Dooney (trumpet).
Audio Mixer: Kevin Killen.
Recording information: Hit Factory, London, England; Ocean Way Recording, L.A., CA; Ringsend Road Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
Photographer: David Appleby.
Unknown Contributor Role: Kenneth McCluskey.
Alan Parker's adaptation of Roddy Doyle's crackerjack novel The Commitments kept its focus on the music -- the classic American R&B and soul the titular workingman band cranked out in pubs across Ireland. As a book and film, The Commitments was all about love of music, so it didn't matter if the soundtrack offered workmanlike versions of oldies the band and audience knew by heart: as long as it was done with some, well, soul, the film would work, and the soundtrack would too. In that sense, the Commitments were a cousin to the Blues Brothers, John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd's tribute to the very same music but where Jake and Elwood managed to hire Stax's house band (such are the perks of stardom) , the group Parker assembled were working Irish musicians. This would seem to lend The Commitments some degree of authenticity and it does to a certain extent, as these guys can crank out familiar favorites without missing a step, but the description of working musicians suggests that there is some grit here, which there's not. After all, this is music for a movie, so it is cleanly produced: the horns have a punch, the guitars are crisp, the drums tight and neat, all the better to showcase the bar band growl of Andrew Strong -- his Otis worship comes out like Rod Stewart crossed with Mick Hucknall -- and Maria Doyle's salute to Aretha Franklin. All of this sounds fine, if a bit generic: these are great songs performed ably and if they're not distinctive, they at least suit the spirit of the film's open-hearted hero worship. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
SoundtrackCorrina Corrina (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 68 ratings.
Based on 68 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (Music from the Original... (CD)
$9.72 Super Savings
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid [Original Score] (CD)
$8.92 Super Savings
My Rifle, My Pony and Me: Movie & TV Soundtracks (CD)
$15.69 Super Savings
Songs, Themes & Laughs From "The Andy Griffith Show" (CD)
$5.97 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 4 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Danny & The Juniors Greatest Hits (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Skeeter Davis Blueberry Hill / The End of The World (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE