Bill Monroe Anthology (2-CD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.84 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.11 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: April 21, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: MCA Nashville
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.New Mule Skinner Blues
- 2.My Little Georgia Rose
- 3.Uncle Pen
- 4.Raw Hide
- 5.Kentucky Waltz
- 6.When The Cactus Is In Bloom
- 7.Get Down On Your Knees And Pray
- 8.In The Pines
- 9.Footprints In The Snow
- 10.Walking In Jerusalem Just Like John
- 11.Get Up John
- 12.On And On
- 13.I'm Working On A Building
- 14.Blue Moon Of Kentucky
- 16.Goodbye Old Pal
- 17.Molly & Tenbrooks
- 18.I'm Sittin' On Top Of The World
- 19.I Saw The Light
- 21.Panhandle Country
- 22.Gotta Travel On
- 23.Big Mon
- 24.Linda Lou
- 25.Lonesome Road Blues
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Time Changes Everything
- 2.I'm Going Back To Old Kentucky
- 3.Toy Heart
- 4.Live And Let Live
- 5.Old Joe Clark
- 6.Columbus Stockade Blues
- 7.Drifting Too Far From The Shore
- 8.Somebody Touched Me
- 9.Jimmy Brown The Newsboy
- 10.I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
- 11.Devil's Dream
- 12.Highway Of Sorrow
- 13.Roll On Buddy, Roll On
- 14.Just Over In The Gloryland (We're Goin')
- 15.Fire On The Mountain
- 16.The Long Black Veil
- 17.I Wonder Where You Are Tonight
- 18.Dusty Miller
- 19.Midnight On The Stormy Deep
- 20.Sally Goodin'
- 21.Walls Of Time
- 22.I Haven't Seen Mary In Years
- 23.With Body And Soul
- 24.Walk Softly On My Heart
- 25.My Last Days On Earth
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Bill Monroe (vocals, mandolin); Jimmy Martin, Carter Stanley, Eddie Mayfield, Jimmy Maynard (vocals, guitar); Rudy Lyle (vocals, banjo); Bill Monroe (vocals, mandolin); Ernie Newton (vocals, bass); Kenny Baker, Charlie Cline, Boudleaux Bryant, Culley Holt (vocals); Jimmy Selph, Lester Sandy, Carl Butler, Norman Blake, Thomas Grady Martin (guitar); Robert Lee Pennington, Don Stover (banjo); Vassar Clements, Merle "Red" Taylor, Tommy Jackson, Hal Smith (fiddle); Joel Price (bass, background vocals); Ernie Newton, Howard Watts, Bessie Lee Mauldin (bass); Farris Coursey (drums); Cindy Nelson (background vocals).
Producers include: Bill Monroe, Owen Bradley, Paul Cohen, Walter Haynes, Harry Silverstein.
Compilation producers: Mary Katherine Aldin, Andy McKaie.
Recorded between 1950 & 1981. Includes liner notes by Mary Katherine Aldin.
Personnel: Bill Monroe (vocals, mandolin); Del McCoury, Franklin G. Buchanan, Jimmy Maynard, Edd Mayfield, James Monroe , Jimmy Martin , Peter Rowan, Roland White, Carter Stanley (vocals, guitar); Rudy Lyle (vocals, banjo); Gordon Terry, Charlie Cline (vocals, fiddle); Culley Holt, Ernie Newton, Joel Price, Kenny Baker , Milton Estes, Boudleaux Bryant (vocals); Joe Stuart (guitar, banjo, fiddle); Jimmy Elrod, Grady Martin, Jack Cooke, Jimmy Selph, Jackie Phelps, Norman Blake, Carl Butler (guitar); Curtis McPeake, Don Stover, Don Lineberger, Rual Yarbrough, Lonnie Hoppers, Hubert Davis, Lamar Grier, Robert Lee Pennington, Joe Drumright, Sonny Osborne, Tony Ellis , Vic Jordan, Bill Keith (banjo); Sheldon Kurland (violin, strings); Connie Ellisor, Dennis Molchan, George Binkley III, Carl Gorodetzky (violin); Dale Potter, Tommy Williams Jr., Red Stanley, Merle "Red" Taylor, Hal Smith , Richard Greene & Beryl Marriott, Horace "Benny" Williams, Red Hayes, Tommy Jackson, Vassar Clements, Bobby Hicks , Buddy Spicher, Byron Berline (fiddle); Roy Christensen (cello); Farris Coursey (drums); Cindy Nelson, Curtis Young, Arlene Hardin, Bobby Hardin (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Mary Katherine Aldin.
Recording information: Mt. Juliet, TN; Nashville, TN.
Photographer: Les Leverett.
So much has been said about the founding father of bluegrass music that it would be nice if there was an all-encompassing collection of Bill Monroe's music to accompany the legend. Although the almost-correctly titled Anthology comes close, there is still a wealth of Columbia and RCA-Victor recordings missing from this Decca-centric collection, which runs chronologically from 1950 to 1969 (with one final track from 1981). Unfortunately, this means that the classic lineup of Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, with fiddler Chubby Wise and bassist Howard Watts, is not represented. Still, bluegrass luminaries Vassar Clements, Jimmy Martin, Kenny Baker, Del McCoury, Peter Rowan, and many others, all drifted in and out of the Blue Grass Boys during their twenty-some years, and make appearances on classic tracks like "Sally Goodin," "Uncle Pen," "Blue Moon of Kentucky," and "New Mule Skinner Blues." All told, this may be the perfect collection of Monroe's work for Decca, but it falls only slightly short of being the Bill Monroe Anthology. ~ Zac Johnson
Country & Western, Volume 2 [German Import] (10-CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Bluegrass - High Lonesome: The Story of Bluegrass Music... (DVD)
$14.49 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Folsom Prison Blues / I Walk The Line (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Buy For Me The Rain / Dance Little Jean (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE