Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 20, 2010
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Palm Pictures / UMVD
- Note: Interviews with cast and director
- Jim Carroll interview and poetry reading
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- DTS HD Master Audio - English
- PCM Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 03/23/1995
"...DiCaprio is electrifying....A wild ride fueled by profane wit and hallucinatory power..."
USA Today - 04/21/1995
"...[The film] pulsates as an early-'60s time capsule..."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/21/1995
"...Energetic....A glimpse of the great actor Leonardo DiCaprio is going to be."
Variety - 02/06/1995
"...[DiCaprio delivers] a game, highly emotional performance that further confirms previous indications of a major talent..."
New York Times - 04/21/1995
"...[DiCaprio is] a stunning natural performer who hides nothing, with the wrenching expressions of a latter-day James Dean..."
Based on the autobiographical journals of poet Jim Carroll, BASKETBALL DIARIES follows the descent of a Catholic high school student from star basketball player to drug addict. Jim (Leonardo DiCaprio) and his friends roam the streets of New York City as goof-offs, petty thieves, and junkies. Expelled from school for using drugs before a game, Jim is also thrown out of his house and takes up street hustling. A pre-superstardom DiCaprio gives a strong performance in this gritty and uncompromising look at being young and streetwise.
Coming Of Age |
New York City |
Social Issues |
Theatrical Release |
- Excerpts of Jim Carroll's book "The Basketball Diaries" first appeared in "The Paris Review" in 1970. The book was published in 1978.
- Jim Carroll's song "People Who Died" was a New Wave hit in the early 1980s.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Additional credits: Kathie Hersch (line producer); Diana D. Schmidt (unit production manager); David C. Dean, Robert C. Albertell (assistant directors); David C. Robinson (costume design); Verne Caruso (hairstylist); Joshua Wingett (music editor); Billy Gottlieb (music co-ordinator).