James Brown Gettin' Down To It
Only 6 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.54 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.45 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by James Brown ~ Hell ~ $9.89
- by James Brown ~ The Payback ~ $5.29
- by James Brown ~ Say It Live And Loud - James Brown Live In Dallas 8/26/68 ~ $8.34
Products with a similar style:
- Marvin Gaye 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Volume 1 (CD) ~ $4.31
- Released: September 20, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Verve
Description by OLDIES.com:
Most people know James Brown as the Godfather of Soul. But Brown has also long had a taste for jazz. Inspired by the music of Frank Sinatra, Brown teamed up with the Dee Felice Trio to record hi own unique versions of Sinatra-associated standards like "Strangers in the Night" and "All the Way," along with jazzed-up renditions of his hits "Cold Sweat" and "There Was a Time." The intimately swinging results revealed a little-known facet of Brown's funky self - a brand new bag, indeed!
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1444 star out of 5 -- "Best of all...are Mr. Dynamite's finger-clicking jazz versions of his funk classics, 'Cold Sweat' and 'There Was A Time'."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Sunny
- $0.99 on iTunes2.That's Life
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Strangers In The Night
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Willow Weep For Me
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Cold Sweat
- $0.99 on iTunes6.There Was A Time
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Chicago
- $0.99 on iTunes8.(I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Time After Time
- $0.99 on iTunes10.All The Way
- $0.99 on iTunes11.It Had To Be You
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Uncle
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: James Brown (vocals); Marva Whitney (vocals); Kenny Poole, Lee Garrett (guitar); Frank Vincent (piano); Lee Tucker (bass instrument); Dee Felice (drums); Dee Felice Trio.
Along with SOUL ON TOP, GETTING' DOWN TO IT is one of James Brown's often-overlooked late-1960s forays into jazz. While the Godfather of Soul, backed by a piano trio, doesn't leave his boundless energy behind here, he is clearly in a more laid-back mood throughout most of this 12-song set, channeling his idol Frank Sinatra on tunes such as "Strangers in the Night" and "It Had to Be You." Though some of these songs work better than others, the conceit is undeniably interesting, and Brown hits the most impressive notes on a rollicking reading of "That's Life" and a beautifully gentle take on "All the Way." Not a disc for the casual Brown fan, GETTING' DOWN TO IT serves as a fascinating detour on the beloved performer's singular career path.
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)(2)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)(11)
$8.84 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 7 ratings.
Based on 7 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)(21)
$4.31 Super Savings