Woody Guthrie My Dusty Road (4-CD Box Set)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$71.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$8 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 4
- Released: October 5, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Rounder / Umgd
Rolling Stone - p.885 stars out of 5 -- "The sound quality is astonishing....Fingerpicked melodic fills emerge from surface noise, vocals step up to shake your hand."
Dirty Linen - p.56"[T]hese cuts sound amazing....Treasure it for the crystal-clear songs."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.This Land Is Your Land
- 2.Going Down the Road (I Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way)
- 3.Talking Sailor
- 4.Philadelphia Lawyer
- 5.Hard Travelin'
- 6.Jesus Christ
- 7.The Sinking of the Reuben James
- 8.Pretty Boy Floyd
- 9.Grand Coulee Dam
- 10.Nine Hundred Miles
- 11.Going Down the Road (I Ain't Gonna Be Treated This Way)
- 12.My Daddy (Flies a Ship in the Sky)
- 13.Bad Repetation - (previously unreleased)
Tracks on Disc 2:
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.I'm Gonna Join That One Big Union (You Gotta Go Down and Join the Union)
- 2.Hangknot, Slipknot
- 3.Gonna Roll the Union On
- 4.The Ludlow Massacre
- 5.Sally Don't You Grieve
- 6.Harriet Tubman's Ballad, Pt. 1
- 7.Harriet Tubman's Ballad, Pt. 2
- 8.Tear the Fascists Down - (previously unreleased)
- 9.When the Yanks Go Marching In
- 10.You Can Hear My Whistle Blow - (previously unreleased)
- 11.Union Burying Ground
- 12.You Gotta Go Down and Join the Union
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 1.Train Breakdown
- 2.Do You Ever Think of Me? [aka At My Window]
- 3.Guitar Rag
- 4.Square Dance Medley: Cripple Creek / Buffalo Gals / Old Joe Clark / Red Wing / Ida Red / Chilly Winds / Sandy Land
- 5.Guitar Breakdown
- 6.Raincrow Bill
- 7.Ain't Nobody's Business
- 9.Ezekiel Saw the Wheel
- 10.Bile Them Cabbage Down
- 11.Danville Girl
- 12.Guitar Blues
- 13.Brown's Ferry Blues - (previously unreleased)
- 14.More Pretty Girls Than One
- 15.Sonny's Flight - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Liner Note Authors: Ed Cray; Bill Nowlin; Nora Guthrie.
Photographers: Tiffany Loiselle; Bill Nowlin; Rick Olivier.
Arrangers: Sonny Terry; Woody Guthrie.
It's nearly impossible to fathom that recordings so alive and important sat untouched in a Brooklyn basement for six decades, but that's how the story of My Dusty Road begins. Long story short: an elderly woman had inherited a cache of some 2,000 metal disc recordings cut in the 1940s for Herbert Harris, owner of the Stinson Records label, and Moses Asch, who went on to found Folkways Records. Among them, most in pristine condition (some were scratched but the metal masters were otherwise shiny and new-looking), were roughly 150 sides made in April 1944 by one Woodrow Wilson Guthrie, first-class performances from his peak years. It should be noted up front that this is not a discovery of music that hasn't seen the light of day before -- only six of the 54 tracks that ended up on the four-CD box set are previously unreleased; the rest have been issued by Stinson (and on various reissues). My Dusty Road can, however, be considered a significant sonic upgrade. Some of the metal discs were damaged, but enough was salvageable -- and able to be cleaned up with modern technology -- that this collection (including six alternate versions Guthrie never released elsewhere) culled from that basement can now be considered a worthy new piece of the Guthrie canon. Divided into four thematic segments -- Woody's "Greatest" Hits, Woody's Roots, Woody the Agitator, and Woody, Cisco and Sonny (i.e., Guthrie and fellow folksingers Cisco Houston and Sonny Terry) -- the set is both familiar and fresh-sounding at once.
Opening with "This Land Is Your Land," it becomes immediately noticeable throughout the first disc that, although there is still a certain amount of hiss and scratch present (these recordings did, after all, sit in a basement for 60 years), Guthrie's voice and guitar are brighter, more immediate. Two versions of "Going Down the Road," one a collaborative effort with Houston and Terry, the other with only Houston, are lively and poignant, and other staples such as "The Sinking of the Reuben James" and "Pretty Boy Floyd" feel more like intimate coffeehouse recordings than, as they did before, distant and flat. "Bad Repetation" (sic), the first of the never-heard songs, ends disc one, a clever, uptempo indictment of a male suitor's paying the price for his misbehavior. Of the songs on disc two, again many have become standards of the Guthrie and general folk song repertoire, interpreted by countless artists over the years: "Stewball," "Worried Man Blues," "John Henry," etc. Here they come alive as if a layer of grime has been wiped off the surface. Similarly, the topical songs that populate disc three and the collaborations on the final disc, while not altering the actual Guthrie story in any major way, do allow listeners to move in a little closer and experience the music as it was performed during those 1944 days. "Guitar Rag," a previously unreleased instrumental featuring Guthrie and Houston on guitars and Terry on harmonica, is truly thrilling, a pure sampling of what it would have been like to watch these three greats sitting around jamming casually. And "Sonny's Flight," which closes out the package and has also never before been issued, is a terrific stomping folk-blues that places Terry's harmonica front and center. My Dusty Road is a significant find, even if it doesn't rewrite the Woody Guthrie tale. ~ Jeff Tamarkin
Bob Dylan30th Anniversary Concert Celebration [Deluxe Ed.] (2-CD)
$14.38 CYBER SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)
$2.38 CYBER SALE
Down the Tracks: Music That Influenced Bob Dylan (DVD)
$3.98 CYBER SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 1-4 (CD)
$5.99 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE