The Dramatics The Best of The Dramatics
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 1, 1991
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Fantasy
Q - 10/94, p.1303 Stars - Good - "...building through the usual raindrops-are-really-tears-actually malarkey to a near-hysterical climax. Worth the price of admission here alone..."
Rap Pages - 3/99, p.1444 (out of 5) - "...THE BEST OF THE DRAMATICS gathers hits from the latter part of the group's career....The ballads, however, set the group apart from the soul-turned-quasidisco pack..."
- 1.Get Up And Get Down
- 2.Thank You For Your Love
- 3.Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get
- 4.In The Rain
- 5.(Gimme Some) Good Soul Music
- 6.Fall In Love, Lady Love
- 7.The Devil Is Dope
- 8.You Could Become The Very Heart Of Me
- 9.Fell For You
- 10.Hey You! Get Off My Mountain
- 11.Beware Of The Man (With The Candy In His Hand)
- 12.And I Panicked
- 13.I Dedicate My Life To You
- 14.I Made Myself Lonely
- 15.Highway To Heaven
- 16.Toast To The Fool
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Producers: Tony Hester, Jimmy Roach, Don Davis.
Engineers include: Jim Vitti, Dean Mounts, Don Davis.
Digitally remastered directly from the original analog master tapes by Phil De Lancie (Fantasy Studios, Berkeley).
Includes original liner notes by Jack Sbarbori.
Compilation producer: Roger Clayton.
Liner Note Author: Jack Sbarbori.
In the 1960s, Stax Records was best known for raw southern soul that rejected the type of sleekness and pop sensibilities favored by the northern soulsters at Motown. But by the early '70s, Memphis soul was losing its popularity, and Stax's A&R department started to emphasize northern and so-called "uptown" soul in order to stay competitive. One of Stax/Volt's biggest sellers was the Dramatics, a Detroit group that, like the Temptations at Motown and the O'Jays in the Gamble & Huff camp, effectively combined gritty soul belting with a sleek production style. Thanks to major hits ranging from the delightfully funky "Whacha See Is Whacha Get" to slow jams and ballads like "Hey You! Get Off My Mountain," "Toast to the Fool" and the melancholy "In the Rain," the Dramatics were on quite a roll in the early-to-mid-'70s. All of those gems are included on the hour-long CD, The Best of the Dramatics, which offers a fine overview of the quintet's Stax/Volt years. Many Dramatics albums are worth owning, but if a listener were allowed to own only one Dramatics CD, this would be it. ~ Alex Henderson
The DramaticsThe Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.84 LABOR DAY
The DramaticsShake It Well: The Best of the Dramatics 1974-1980
$4.77 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 21 ratings.
Based on 21 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Shake It Well: The Best of the Dramatics 1974-1980 (CD)
$4.77 LABOR DAY
Top ranking titles in the R&B / Soul genre:
- War Me And Baby Brother / Ballero (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- The Gap Band Early In The Morning / Open Your Mind (Wide) (45) ~ $2.99 on SALE
- Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine / Use Me (45) ~ $2.40 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists Soul Classics, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Drifters There Goes My Baby: 10-Song Collection (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE