Wattstax (Highlights From The Soundtrack)
by Various Artists
Only 5 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Stax
Entertainment Weekly - pp.67-9"[The disc] fiercely captures R&B in the years after Motown's heyday and before disco dominated." - Grade: A-
Down Beat - p.763.5 stars out of 5 - "WATTSTAX captures the zeitgeist of the era, from social consciousness to social life."
- 1.The DramaticsWhatcha See Is Whatcha Get
- 2.The Staple SingersOh La De Da
- 3.Kim WestonLift Every Voice and Sing
- 4.The Rance Allen GroupLying on the Truth
- 5.The EmotionsPeace Be Still
- 6.The Staple SingersRespect Yourself
- 7.Bar-KaysSon of Shaft / Feel
- 8.Albert KingI'll Play The Blues For You
- 9.Little MiltonWalking the Streets and Crying
- 10.Johnnie TaylorJody's Got Your Girl and Gone
- 11.Carla ThomasPick Up The Pieces
- 12.Rufus ThomasThe Breakdown
- 13.Rufus ThomasDo the Funky Chicken
- 14.Luther IngramI Don't Want to Be Right
- 15.Isaac HayesTheme From Shaft
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Audio Remixer: Stephen Hart .
Liner Note Author: Rob Bowman.
Recording information: 08/20/1972.
Wattstax: Highlights from the Soundtrack was issued in tandem with the restored DVD in 2004. Wattstax, referred to as the African-American Woodstock, was held in 1972 at the Los Angeles Coliseum with over 100,000 in attendance to hear live performances from the then-current roster of Stax Records. This single-disc reissue differs from the original double-disc collection in that it contains full performances of the songs included in the film as opposed to the actual concert, making this a much tighter program. The highlights include the Staple Singers' "Respect Yourself," the Bar-Kays' "Son of Shaft/Feel It," Albert King's "I'll Play the Blues for You," and the previously unreleased versions of Luther Ingram's "(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right" and Isaac Hayes's climactic rendition of "Theme from Shaft," which alone makes this CD worth the price. ~ Al Campbell
Somebody's Been Sleeping / 100 Proof Aged In Soul [Import] (CD)
$11.12 Super Savings
20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection: Best of Atl (CD)
$3.99 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!