The Soul Stirrers Jesus Gave Me Water
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 6, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Specialty
- 1.Jesus Gave Me Water
- 2.Christ Is All
- 3.Come, Let Us Go Back To God
- 4.I'm On The Firing Line
- 5.How Far Am I From Canaan?
- 6.Jesus Done Just What He Said
- 7.He's My Rock (Wait On Jesus)
- 8.Joy, Joy To My Soul
- 9.I'm Gonna Build On That Shore
- 10.Until Jesus Calls Me Home
- 11.Jesus Will Lead Me To That Promised Land
- 12.It Won't Be Very Long
- 13.Let Me Go Home
- 14.Someday Somewhere
- 15.Jesus Paid The Debt
- 16.End Of My Journey
- 17.He's My Friend Until The End
- 18.I Have A Friend Above All Others
- 19.I Gave Up Everything To Follow Him
- 20.Come And Go To That Land -(take 3, alternate)
- 21.I'm So Happy In The Service Of The Lord
- 22.Any Day Now
- 23.Jesus, I'll Never Forget
- 24.All Right Now
- 25.Pray (Incomplete)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Featuring Sam Cooke, Paul Foster and Julius Cheeks.
The Soul Stirrers include: Sam Cooke, Paul Foster, Julius Cheeks (lead vocals), Senior Roy Crain (first tenor), Thomas L. Bruster, R.B. Robinson (baritones), Bob King (baritone, guitar), Jesse J. Farley (bass).
Additional personnel includes: Faidest Wagoner (piano).
Reissue producers: Lee Hidebrand, Opal Nations.
Recorded at Universal Recorders and Master Recorders, Hollywood, California between 1951 and 1955. Includes liner notes by Lee Hildebrand and Opal Nations.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1992, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
This is part of the "Specialty Legends Of Gospel" series.
Recording information: Master Recorders, Hollyeood (03/01/1951-08/17/1955); Universal Recorders, Hollywood, CA (03/01/1951-08/17/1955).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Paul Foster; Rev. Julius Cheeks; Sam Cooke.
Sam Cooke was only a tender 19 years of age when he was tapped to replace R.H. Harris as the lead singer of legendary gospel group the Soul Stirrers. Cooke's break came when Soul Stirrer baritone R.B. Robinson saw him perform with the Highway Q.C.'s and decided to take the young singer under his wing. Well, if this recording is any indication, Cooke was already the master and everyone else, students. Cooke gives a command performance running in and out of the Stirrers' characteristically solid backing. Never sounding better, he lends energy and sense of teenage desperation to this set of gospel classics and originals. Especially outstanding are the tracks "I'm on the Firing Line," "Jesus Will Lead Me to That Promised Land," and the brilliantly arranged "Jesus Paid the Debt." It wouldn't be until 1958 that Sam Cooke would break into the pop charts, but this record reveals he was a consummate performer. As a total unknown suddenly thrust into leading the most popular gospel group in America, Cooke breaks not a sweat. An excellent, though largely forgotten, record. ~ Brian Whitener
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 3 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Collectables Gospel Classics, Volume 2 (Limited) (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan (CD)
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE