Windy City Blues
by Various Artists
Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale (series)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$4.19 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.79 (65% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by James Cotton ~ Superharps ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: April 6, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Stax
- 1.Willie Dixon BandLovin'est Woman in Town
- 2.Willie Dixon BandPut It All in There
- 3.Willie Dixon BandNeed More Mamma
- 4.Willie Dixon BandLove Me to Death
- 5.Otis SpannDust My Broom
- 6.Otis SpannMust Have Been the Devil
- 7.Willie DixonMove Me
- 8.Willie DixonThat's My Baby
- 9.Billy Boy ArnoldTwo Drinks of Wine
- 10.Billy Boy ArnoldPlaying With the Blues
- 11.Billy Boy ArnoldBilly Boy's Blues
- 12.Sunnyland SlimDevil Is a Busy Man
- 13.Sunnyland SlimEvery Time I Get to Drinking (Take 3)
- 14.Sunnyland SlimTired of You Clowning
- 15.Homesick James WilliamsonGotta Move (Alternate Take)
- 16.Homesick James WilliamsonCloud Is Crying (Alternate Take)
- 17.Homesick James WilliamsonHomesick's Shuffle (Alternate Take)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This compilation consists of recordings licenced from Delmark Records.
Producers include: Samuel Charters, Esmond Edwards, Ozzie Cadena.
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois and Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey between 1959 & 1970.
Personnel: Homesick James Williamson, Albert King (vocals, guitar); Billy Boy Arnold (vocals, harmonica); Otis Spann, Sunnyland Slim (vocals, piano); Willie Dixon (vocals); James "Pee Wee" Madison, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Mighty Joe Young, Muddy Waters, Wally Richardson (guitar); Harold Ashby, King Curtis (tenor saxophone); Murray Watson, Gene Barge, Johnny Board (horns); Lafayette Leake, Memphis Slim (piano); Robert Banks (organ); Jerome Arnold (electric bass); Clifton James, Junior Blackmon, Gus Johnson , S.P. Leary, Belton Evans, Morris Jennings (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Lee Hildebrand.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (12/03/1959-03/??/1970); Englewood Cliffs, NJ (12/03/1959-03/??/1970); TelMar Studio, Chicago, IL (12/03/1959-03/??/1970).
Though this compilation does have blues recorded in Chicago from 1959-1970 by notably famous and reasonably well-known bluesmen, it's a kind of patched-together product of odds'n'ends to which Fantasy holds the rights. Half a dozen performers are represented on these 17 tracks: Albert King, Otis Spann, Willie Dixon, Billy Boy Arnold, Sunnyland Slim, and Homesick James. Certainly the songs that will excite blues collectors the most are the four by King, as all of them were previously unreleased, recorded with the Willie Dixon Band in early 1970 (though Dixon himself, oddly enough, doesn't play on the cuts). They're decent and representative of King's soul-tinged blues in his Stax period, but not brilliant, though the band does feature impressive talent, including guitarists Matt Murphy and Mighty Joe Young, bassist Phil Upchurch, pianist Lafayette Leake, and a brass section including Gene Barge. Two of the tunes are obscure Dixon compositions, "Need More Mamma" and "Love Me to Death," and the liner notes speculate that another, "Put It All in There" (first recorded in 1968 by Wild Child Butler), is also Dixon-penned, though it was credited to a friend. Elsewhere on the disc, the Spann, Dixon, Arnold, and Slim tracks are all taken from Prestige albums that were readily available on CD at the time this anthology was issued. These are, again, good but not great Chicago blues, and Arnold's three 1963 tracks are slightly perfunctory affairs that don't represent him at his best. The collection concludes with three raucous, slide guitar-heavy Homesick James tracks that might be of interest to heavy-duty collectors, as they were previously unissued. They're not of as much interest for their rarity value as the Albert King numbers, however, since these James performances are alternate takes rather than songs that were previously unreleased in any form. ~ Richie Unterberger
The Bluesville Years, Volume 6: Blues Sweet Carolina Blues (CD)
$4.89 Super Savings
The Bluesville Years, Volume 9: Down the Country Way (CD)
$4.19 Super Savings
The Bluesville Years, Volume 10: Country Roads, Country Days (CD)
$4.89 Super Savings
Bluesville Years, Volume 12: Jump, Jumpin' the Blues (CD)
$4.19 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 51,266
- UPC: 025218861229
- Shipping Weight: 0.26/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking titles in the Blues genre:
- Johnny Shines Traditional Delta Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Mississippi John Hurt Satisfying Blues (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Lightnin' Hopkins Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Buster Brown New King of The Blues - Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Old Town Records Presents City Blues (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Garage Band Halloween, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE