Coleman Hawkins The Best of Coleman Hawkins
Only 4 copies left
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Sonny Rollins Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 3) (2-CD) ~ $5.98 (Save 50%)
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 15, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Prestige
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Coleman Hawkins; Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (tenor saxophone); Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Ron Carter , Wendell Marshall (bass instrument); Gus Johnson , Charles "Specs" Wright, Walter Bolden (drums); Roy Gaines (guitar); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Joe Thomas (trumpet); Ray Bryant, Red Garland, Tommy Flanagan (piano); Eddie Locke, Osie Johnson (drums); Jerry Valentine.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Bob Bernotas.
Recording information: Hacdensack, NJ (11/07/1958-08/16/1962); Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (11/07/1958-08/16/1962).
Photographer: Esmond Edwards.
Arranger: Jerry Valentine.
By the time Coleman Hawkins was recording for Prestige in the late 1950s and early '60s, he was already the distinguished elder statesman of the tenor saxophone, and was playing with musicians who had grown up in a world changed by his musical innovations. THE BEST OF COLEMAN HAWKINS captures the Hawk at the start of his final decade of playing, with the stylistic blueprint for saxophone that he invented still blazingly apparent on these cuts.
In addition to his robust tone, brilliant harmonic conception, and infallible sense of swing, Hawkins was always searching for new ideas. His merging of old and new schools is nicely represented here, spurred on by a wonderful crop of younger musicians, including guitarist Kenny Burrell, pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Ron Carter, and tenor man Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. (Note the boiling mood as Davis and Hawkins trade solos on "In a Mellow Tone.") Hawk's justifiably loved ballad playing is here, too (especially on the aching "I Want to Be Loved"), rounding out a style-spanning glimpse at his late-period work.
Coleman HawkinsThe Essential Sides Remastered 1929-1939 (4-CD Box Set)
Jazz Giants of the 20th Century: 17 Performances (DVD)
$14.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE