Coleman Hawkins The Best of Coleman Hawkins
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.90 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.09 (17% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Products with a similar style:
- Sonny Rollins The Freelance Years: The Complete Riverside & Contemporary Recordings (5-CD Box Set) ~ $53.99
- Sonny Rollins Prestige Profiles (Plus Bonus CD, Volume 3) (2-CD) ~ $10.56
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Prestige
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Coleman Hawkins; Kenny Burrell (guitar); Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (tenor saxophone); Idrees Sulieman (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Ronnell Bright (piano); Ron Carter , Wendell Marshall (bass instrument); Gus Johnson , Charles "Specs" Wright, Walter Bolden (drums); Roy Gaines (guitar); Jerome Richardson (alto saxophone); Pepper Adams (baritone saxophone); Joe Thomas (trumpet); Ray Bryant, Red Garland, Tommy Flanagan (piano); Eddie Locke, Osie Johnson (drums); Jerry Valentine.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Bob Bernotas.
Recording information: Hacdensack, NJ (11/07/1958-08/16/1962); Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (11/07/1958-08/16/1962).
Photographer: Esmond Edwards.
Arranger: Jerry Valentine.
By the time Coleman Hawkins was recording for Prestige in the late 1950s and early '60s, he was already the distinguished elder statesman of the tenor saxophone, and was playing with musicians who had grown up in a world changed by his musical innovations. THE BEST OF COLEMAN HAWKINS captures the Hawk at the start of his final decade of playing, with the stylistic blueprint for saxophone that he invented still blazingly apparent on these cuts.
In addition to his robust tone, brilliant harmonic conception, and infallible sense of swing, Hawkins was always searching for new ideas. His merging of old and new schools is nicely represented here, spurred on by a wonderful crop of younger musicians, including guitarist Kenny Burrell, pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Ron Carter, and tenor man Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis. (Note the boiling mood as Davis and Hawkins trade solos on "In a Mellow Tone.") Hawk's justifiably loved ballad playing is here, too (especially on the aching "I Want to Be Loved"), rounding out a style-spanning glimpse at his late-period work.
Coleman HawkinsThe Essential Sides Remastered 1929-1939 (4-CD Box Set)
$24.26 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
It Had To Be You: 24 Standards In Singer's Keys (CD)
$18.71 Super Savings
St. Louis Blues: Traditional Dixieland Classics (CD)
$15.39 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE