John Fahey Live In Tasmania
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$9.88 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 8, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Takoma
Down Beat - p.744 stars out of 5 - "The success of LIVE IN TASMANIA, from beginning to end, stems from Fahey's confident attacks in this all-original program."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Fahey (guitar); John Fahey.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Authors: Peter Noble; Jim O'Rourke.
Recording information: Hobart University, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia (10/15/1980).
Arranger: John Fahey.
LIVE IN TASMANIA's liner notes report that John Fahey decided to do this 1980 concert on impulse, while drunk, on a plane trip over Australia. The concert/recording was then thrown together in four days, but with Fahey it is best to expect the unexpected. An acoustic guitarist of notorious idiosyncrasy and technical accomplishment, Fahey's music fuses traditional folk, blues, and bluegrass with meditative drones and contemporary classical flourishes. That Fahey blends these into a seamless whole sounding at once old-timey, avant, contemporary, and timeless is the real marvel.
In concert, Fahey favors extended improvisation in which themes are explored, deconstructed, and linked with other themes that organically build, crest, and recede. Fahey plays with tremendous intensity here (the shifting, minor dissonance of "The Approaching of the Disco Void" is a case in point), and his precise sense of rhythm and dazzling fingerpicking often make it sound like several guitarists are playing at once. The stately version of "Waltzing Matilda" is the most recognizable piece, while "Indian-Pacific R.R. Blues," with its shifting time and mesmerizing repeated root note, is arguably the best. This is brilliant live album, and the first one in Fahey's voluminous discography.
Bread & RosesFestival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 CYBER SALE
In Search of Blind Joe Death: The Saga of John Fahey
$18.77 CYBER SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Generations of Folk, Volume 2 - Protest & Politics (CD)
The New Possibility: Guitar Soli Xmas Album / Christmas... (CD)
$9.88 CYBER SALE
Top ranking titles in the Folk genre:
- Tim Hardin This Is Tim Hardin (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Peter, Paul and Mary 50 Years with Peter Paul and Mary (DVD) ~ $12.14 CYBER SALE
- Woody Guthrie Golden Classics, Part 2 - Immortal Woody Guthrie (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.38 CYBER SALE
- Marc Cohn Playlist 1970 (CD) ~ $3.18 CYBER SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE