John Fahey Live In Tasmania
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.05 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.93 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 8, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Takoma
Down Beat - p.744 stars out of 5 - "The success of LIVE IN TASMANIA, from beginning to end, stems from Fahey's confident attacks in this all-original program."
- 1.Intro By Stephan Markovitch
- $0.99 on iTunes2.The Approaching Of The Disco Void: On The Sunnyside Of The Ocean / Tasmania Two Step / Tiger
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Waltzing Matilda
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Fahey Establishes Rapport With The Tasmanians
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Steamboat Gwine Round De Bend
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Indian-Pacific R.R. Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Fahey (guitar); John Fahey.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Authors: Peter Noble; Jim O'Rourke.
Recording information: Hobart University, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia (10/15/1980).
Arranger: John Fahey.
LIVE IN TASMANIA's liner notes report that John Fahey decided to do this 1980 concert on impulse, while drunk, on a plane trip over Australia. The concert/recording was then thrown together in four days, but with Fahey it is best to expect the unexpected. An acoustic guitarist of notorious idiosyncrasy and technical accomplishment, Fahey's music fuses traditional folk, blues, and bluegrass with meditative drones and contemporary classical flourishes. That Fahey blends these into a seamless whole sounding at once old-timey, avant, contemporary, and timeless is the real marvel.
In concert, Fahey favors extended improvisation in which themes are explored, deconstructed, and linked with other themes that organically build, crest, and recede. Fahey plays with tremendous intensity here (the shifting, minor dissonance of "The Approaching of the Disco Void" is a case in point), and his precise sense of rhythm and dazzling fingerpicking often make it sound like several guitarists are playing at once. The stately version of "Waltzing Matilda" is the most recognizable piece, while "Indian-Pacific R.R. Blues," with its shifting time and mesmerizing repeated root note, is arguably the best. This is brilliant live album, and the first one in Fahey's voluminous discography.
Bread & RosesFestival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$25.50 Super Savings
In Search of Blind Joe Death: The Saga of John Fahey
$19.55 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Volume 4 - Great San Bernandino Birthday Party and Other... (CD)(2)
$12.16 Super Savings
John Fahey - Dance of Death: The Life of John Fahey,... (Book)(2)
$24.98 on SALE
Top ranking titles in the Folk genre:
- Woody Guthrie Golden Classics, Part 2 - Immortal Woody Guthrie (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Tim Hardin This Is Tim Hardin (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain Gang, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Beers Family Seasons of Peace (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Leadbelly/Blind Willie McTell Masters of The Country Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE