John Fahey Live In Tasmania
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.05 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.93 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by John Fahey ~ America ~ $9.05
- In Search of Blind Joe Death: The Saga of John Fahey ~ $19.55
- by John Fahey ~ The Legend of Blind Joe Death ~ $10.56
- by John Fahey ~ Requia & Other Compositions For Guitar Solo ~ $10.78
- by John Fahey ~ The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death ~ $12.16
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: June 8, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Takoma
Down Beat - p.744 stars out of 5 - "The success of LIVE IN TASMANIA, from beginning to end, stems from Fahey's confident attacks in this all-original program."
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: John Fahey (guitar); John Fahey.
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Authors: Peter Noble; Jim O'Rourke.
Recording information: Hobart University, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia (10/15/1980).
Arranger: John Fahey.
LIVE IN TASMANIA's liner notes report that John Fahey decided to do this 1980 concert on impulse, while drunk, on a plane trip over Australia. The concert/recording was then thrown together in four days, but with Fahey it is best to expect the unexpected. An acoustic guitarist of notorious idiosyncrasy and technical accomplishment, Fahey's music fuses traditional folk, blues, and bluegrass with meditative drones and contemporary classical flourishes. That Fahey blends these into a seamless whole sounding at once old-timey, avant, contemporary, and timeless is the real marvel.
In concert, Fahey favors extended improvisation in which themes are explored, deconstructed, and linked with other themes that organically build, crest, and recede. Fahey plays with tremendous intensity here (the shifting, minor dissonance of "The Approaching of the Disco Void" is a case in point), and his precise sense of rhythm and dazzling fingerpicking often make it sound like several guitarists are playing at once. The stately version of "Waltzing Matilda" is the most recognizable piece, while "Indian-Pacific R.R. Blues," with its shifting time and mesmerizing repeated root note, is arguably the best. This is brilliant live album, and the first one in Fahey's voluminous discography.
Bread & RosesFestival of Acoustic Music - Greek Theater, U.C. Berkeley (CD)
$10.56 Super Savings
Sonny StittStitt's Bits: Bebop Recordings 1949-1952 [Box Set] (3-CD...
$21.91 Super Savings
Volume 4 - Great San Bernandino Birthday Party and Other... (CD)(2)
$12.16 Super Savings
John Fahey - Dance of Death: The Life of John Fahey,... (Book)(2)
$24.98 on SALE
The Dance of Death & Other Plantation Favorites (CD)(8)
$9.05 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE