Artie Shaw The Essential Artie Shaw
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.13 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: August 16, 2005
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: RCA
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Begin The Beguine
- 2.Special Delivery Stomp
- 3.Non Stop Flight
- 4.Deep Purple
- 5.Oh, Lady Be Good
- 7.Shoot The Likker To Me, Johnny Boy
- 8.St. James Infirmary Blues Pts. 1 & 2
- 9.Georgia On My Mind
- 10.April In Paris
- 11.Any Old Time
- 12.All The Things You Are
- 13.Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise
- 14.Back Bay Shuffle
- 15.(When Your Heart's On Fire) Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
- 17.Blues In The Night
- 18.Concerto For Clarinet Pts. 1 & 2
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.Artie Shaw & His OrchestraSummit Ridge Drive
- 3.Take Your Shoes Off, Baby
- 4.It Had To Be You
- 5.Don't Take Your Love From Me
- 6.Indian Love Call
- 7.Dancing In The Dark
- 8.Deep In A Dream
- 9.I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me
- 10.Star Dust
- 11.Room With A View
- 14.Traffic Jam
- 15.What Is This Thing Called Love?
- 17.You're A Lucky Guy
- 18.Alone Together
- 19.These Foolish Things
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Artie Shaw (clarinet); Artie Shaw; Tony Pastor (vocals, tenor saxophone); Tony Gottuso, Jimmy Shirley (guitar); Jerry Jerome, Dick Clark (tenor saxophone); Johnny Best (trumpet); Jack Jenney, Vernon Brown (trombone); Bob Kitsis (piano); George Wettling, Nick Fatool (drums); Hot Lips Page (vocals, trumpet); Helen Forrest, Lena Horne, Leo Watson, Billie Holiday (vocals); Al Hendrickson (guitar, electric guitar); Barney Kessel (guitar); Harry Bluestone (violin); Les Robinson (alto saxophone); Georgie Auld (tenor saxophone); Manny Klein, Henry "Red" Allen, Max Kaminsky, Roy Eldridge, Billy Butterfield (trumpet); George Arus, Ray Conniff (trombone); Johnny Guarnieri (piano, harpsichord); Dodo Marmarosa, Skitch Henderson, Les Burness (piano); Buddy Rich (drums).
Liner Note Author: Lloyd Rauch.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (12/23/1936-08/02/1953); Hollywood, CA (12/23/1936-08/02/1953); New York, NY (12/23/1936-08/02/1953).
Arrangers: Artie Shaw; Jerry Gray; Lennie Hayton; William Grant Still .
ESSENTIAL is an appropriate title for this double-disc collection of Artie Shaw's music. The temperamental, progressive bandleader and clarinetist was one of the top figures in swing, and his arrangements and recordings of classic songs (Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine," for example) are definitive documents of the era. Shaw's own prowess as an instrumentalist, and his innovative techniques--his use of exotic melodies ("Frenesi") and orchestral strings ("Temptation"), for instance--further heighten his appeal. All of these qualities and more are represented on this comprehensive, superbly compiled set.
Frank Sinatra / Tommy DorseyThe Essential Frank Sinatra With The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra...
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Big Band & Swing genre:
- Benny Goodman Solid Gold Instrumental Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Tony Pastor Plays And Sings Shaw (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Benny Goodman Let's Dance (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Benny Goodman The Best of Benny Goodman (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Cab Calloway Are You Hep To The Jive? (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective Classic Rock (3CD) ~ $7.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Afternoon Delight: 70's Romance (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE