Pirate Radio (2-CD)
by Various Artists
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: November 10, 2009
- Originally Released: 2009
- Label: Republic
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Stay With Me Baby - Duffy
- 2.All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
- 3.Elenore - The Turtles
- 4.Judy In Disguise (With Glasses) - John Fred & His Playboy Band
- 5.Dancing In The Street - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
- 6.Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys
- 7.Ooo Baby Baby - Smokey Robinson
- 8.This Guy's In Love With You - Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
- 9.Hi Ho Silver Lining - Jeff Beck
- 10.I Can See For Miles - The Who
- 11.With A Girl Like You - The Troggs
- 12.I'm Alive - The Hollies
- 13.Yesterday Man - Chris Andrews
- 14.I've Been A Bad Bad Boy - Paul Jones
- 15.Silence Is Golden - The Tremeloes
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats
- 2.My Generation - The Who
- 3.I Feel Free - Cream
- 4.The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix
- 5.A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
- 6.These Arms Of Mine - Otis Redding
- 7.The Happening - The Supremes
- 8.Cleo's Mood - Jr. Walker And The All Stars
- 9.She'd Rather Be With Me - The Turtles
- 10.98.6 - The Bystanders
- 11.Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
- 12.Father And Son - Cat Stevens
- 13.Nights In White Satin - The Moody Blues
- 14.You Don't Have To Say You Love Me - Dusty Springfield
- 15.Stay With Me (Baby) - Lorraine Ellison
- 16.This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You) - The Isley Brothers
- 17.Let's Dance - David Bowie
Liner Note Author: Richard Curtis.
Recording information: De Lane Lea Music Centre, Wembley, England (02/1967); EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (02/1967); Olympic Sound Studios, London, England (02/1967).
Director: Richard Curtis.
Photographers: Alex Bailey; Rankin.
Given the subject matter of Richard Curtis' film Pirate Radio, the soundtrack had to filled with absolutely classic rock, pop, and soul. The motion picture (entitled The Boat That Rocked in the U.K.) is a comedy that reflects on the real-life bands of illegal radio stations that broadcast from boats just outside British territorial waters in the mid-'60s and were therefore outside the iron grip of the BBC. The soundtrack contains a whopping 32 tracks spread over a pair of CDs that contain everything from obvious picks from the era, such the Kinks' "All of the Day and All of the Night," and John Fred & His Playboy Band's "Judy in Disguise," to the Who's "I Can See for Miles," and the Troggs' "With a Girl Like You." Other acts from the early classic pop/rock era are Jimi Hendrix, Moody Blues, Procol Harum (of course!), the Isley Brothers, Beach Boys, Supremes, Otis Redding, Cream, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, Dusty Springfield, Easybeats, Jeff Beck, the Hollies, etc. -- though the Beatles and Rolling Stones are absent for some (more than likely, legal) reason. There are some wonderful surprises too, however: the inclusion of Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass' "This Guy's in Love (With You)," the Turtles' "Elenore," (sic) and the opening track, a version of "Stay with Me Baby," by Duffy. (Lorraine Ellison's version is also here, included near the end of disc two.) David Bowie's lone "Let's Dance," is also here to close the collection. Ultimately, it all adds up to one big party -- even if you have every cut here individually. ~ Thom Jurek
Something About Suburbia: The Sixties Sounds of Tim Andrews (CD)
$17.69 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 45 ratings.
Based on 45 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Great Sound from the 60's Music Lover: Gary Heighington from Brampton, ON CA -- May, 22, 2010
Double CD has 32 great rock tunes including a couple from the British Charts.
Top Gun (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (Expanded) (CD)(105)
La La Land (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) (CD)
$9.71 Super Savings