Duke Ellington The Private Collection, Volume 05: New York, 1968 & 1970
|CYBER SALE:||$13.25 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.73 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington ~ The Private Collection, Volume 07: The Studio Sessions, 1957 & 1962 ~ $13.25
- by Duke Ellington ~ Symphonic Ellington ~ $7.98
Products with a similar style:
- Charlie Parker Best of the Bird, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $4.78
- Released: October 25, 1990
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Atlantic
CD Review - Performance 7 / Sound 5
- 1.The Degas Suite: Introduction (Opening titles) / Race / Racing / Piano Pastel / Improvisation (Marci
- 2.The The River: Spring / RThe un / MThe eander / GThe iggling Rapids / LThe ake / FThe alls / W
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano); Norris Turney (alto saxophone, flute) Russell Procope (alto saxophone, clarinet); Johnny Hodges (alto saxophone);
Paul Gonsalves, Harold Ashby (tenor saxophone); Harry Carney (baritone saxophone); Willie Cook, Cat Anderson, Cootie Williams, Money Johnson, Mercer Ellington, Dave Burns, Al Rubin, Fred Stone (trumpet); Chuck Connors (trombone, bass trombone); Booty Wood, Julian Priester, Cliff Heathers (trombone); Dave Fitz (marimba, xylophone); Walter Rosenberg (glockenspiel); Joe Benjamin (bass); Rufus Jones (drums); Elayne Jones (tympani).
Recorded between November 6, 1968 and June 15, 1970. Includes liner notes by Stanley Dance.
Personnel: Duke Ellington (piano).
Recording information: 11/06/1968-06/15/1970.
The prolific composer Ellington kept his band on salary. So when there was "down time"--no tours, concerts or record dates--he'd take his orchestra in the studio to record his music for himself, produced by himself. Works-in-progress, new items, old standbys reworked/re-arranged--this was what the Duke referred to as "the stockpile." Here is a collection of music meant for a movie that was abandoned, and for a ballet. These works are somewhat less "song-oriented" and give us a view of the rich pallet of colors of his extended compositions. Elegant, thoughtful, intricate, clever, sumptuous--and swinging. No hits here--but if you want to hear the adventurous side of Ellington, this IS the place.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE