Iron Butterfly Light & Heavy: The Best of Iron Butterfly
|You Save:||$1.20 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Steppenwolf ~ All Time Greatest Hits ~ $9.72
- by Blue Cheer ~ Good Times Are So Hard to Find: The History of Blue Cheer ~ $9.89
- by Iron Butterfly / Vanilla Fudge ~ Hits ~ $5.54
- by Iron Butterfly ~ In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida ~ $5.37
- by Deep Purple ~ The Very Best of Deep Purple [Rhino] ~ $8.09
Products with a similar style:
- Released: January 5, 1993
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Elektra / WEA
Q - 7/93, p.1084 Stars - Excellent - "...contains everything from [the album] IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA but contents itself, understandably, with the single edit of the title track rather than the full, insane, 17-minute bonanza...something any self-respecting weird record collection should contain..."
NME (Magazine) - 3/13/93, p.33"...cut through the hippy dross to the solid steel heart of their music and Led Zeppelin sound almost quaint by comparison..."
- 1.Iron Butterfly Theme
- 3.Unconscious Power
- 4.You Can't Win
- 5.So - Lo
- 6.In - A - Gadda - Da - Vida
- 7.Most Anything You Want
- 8.Flowers and Beads
- 9.My Mirage
- 11.In The Time of Our Lives
- 12.Soul Experience
- 13.Real Fright
- 14.In The Crowds
- 15.It Must Be Love
- 16.Belda - Beast
- 17.I Can't Help But Deceive You Little Girl
- 18.New Day
- 19.Stone Believer
- 20.Soldier In Our Town
- 21.Easy Rider (Let The Wind Pay The Way)
Iron Butterfly: Doug Ingle (vocals, acoustic guitar, piano, organ); Erik Brann, Mike Pinera (vocals, guitar); Darryl De Loach (vocals, tambourine, percussion); Danny Weis, Larry "El Rhino" Reinhardt (guitar); Jerry Penrod, Lee Dorman (bass); Ron Bushy (drums).
Additional personnel: Richard Podolor (12-string guitar, sitar); Bill Cooper (12-string guitar).
Producers incude: Brian Stone, Jim Hilton, Tom Dowd, Arif Mardin, Richard Podolor.
Compilation producers: Fred Patterson, Bill Inglot.
Includes liner notes by David Perry.
Personnel: Doug Ingle (vocals, guitar, piano, organ); Erik Braunn, Mike Pinera (vocals, guitar); Darryl DeLoach (vocals, tambourine, percussion); Jerry Penrod, Lee Dorman (vocals); Danny Weis, Larry Reinhardt (guitar); Richard Podolor (12-string guitar, sitar); Bill Cooper (12-string guitar); Ron Bushy (drums).
Psychedelic '60s hard rockers Iron Butterfly are nicely represented on this 21-track best-of, which gives full range to the band's dark, surging sound. Though not the most inventive or even the most ferocious of the acid-rock monsters, Iron Butterfly entered the history books with their 17-minute rock epic "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which subsequently became their best-known tune. The song is included here, of course, but in its edited "single version," and not in its full glory.
That's not a major omission, however, as it leaves more room for listeners to sample Iron Butterfly's other work, much of which will be unknown to all but die-hard fans. The group dabbled in melodic pop, but they are infamous for their sludgy tempos and heavily distorted guitar attack, an aesthetic that would be resurrected some 25 years later in the grunge and stoner rock of the 1990s. In this way, LIGHT AND HEAVY should appeal to the up-and-coming headbanger as much as the nostalgia-seeking hippie.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best... (CD)
$4.48 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Southern Nights: Classic Country Crossovers (2CD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
- The Duprees For Collectors Only: 47-Song Collection (2-CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Country Roots (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Retrospective The 90S (2CD) ~ $6.98 on SALE