- Released: May 4, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Curb Mod Afw
Rolling Stone - 5/28/92, p.524 Stars
- Excellent - "...WYNONNA is an album informed by integrity and wisdom, begging no classification save that of powerful, stirring, ennobling music....It's easily the most important release by a country artist so far this decade..."
Q - 7/92, p.943 Stars
- Good - "...has an honest, unforced style that speaks for the solid qualities of middle America's favorite music..."
Musician - 6/93, p.90
"...a country crossover in the truest sense....skews pop the old-fashioned way, with soulful singing, funky rhythm work and conventionally catchy melodies..."
- 1.What It Takes
- 2.She Is His Only Need
- 3.I Saw The Light
- 4.My Strongest Weakness
- 5.When I Reach The Place I'm Goin'
- 6.No One Else On Earth
- 7.It's Never Easy To Say Goodbye
- 8.Little Bit Of Love, A (Goes A Long, Long Way)
- 9.All Of That Love From Here
- 10.Live With Jesus
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Wynonna Judd (vocals); Paul Kennerly (various instruments, background vocals); Don Potter, Steuart Smith (acoustic & electric guitars); Marty Stuart, George Marinelli (electric guitar); Sam Bush (mandolin); John Barlow Jarvis, Matt Rollings, Steve Nathan, Barry Beckett (keyboards); Leland Sklar, Willie Weeks (bass); Eddie Bayers, Rick Marotta (drums); Naomi Judd, Gary Chapman, Donna McElroy, Dave Loggins, Judy Rodman, Andrew Gold, Jonell Mosser, John Cowan (background vocals).
Engineers: Chuck Ainlay, Steve Tillisch, Paul Kennerly.
Venturing out on her own after her mother and singing partner, Naomi, disbanded their hugely successful country duo, the Judds, Wynonna released this accomplished and wildly popular solo debut in 1992. Initially uncertain about pursuing a solo career, Wynonna crafted a thoroughly assured album that features stellar musicians such as guitarist Marty Stuart, mandolin player Sam Bush, and bassist Leland Sklar, as well as a little background vocal help from her mom. In addition to shining the spotlight on Wynonna's powerful voice, the record also reveals a tendency toward more dynamic material, whether it's the rock-tinged opener "What It Takes," the smooth pop tune "My Strongest Weakness," or the soulful gospel number "Live with Jesus." WYNONNA also features the gentle "She Is His Only Need" and the energetic "No One Else on Earth," both of which were hit singles. Solidifying her standing as a promising solo artist, this outing laid the groundwork for Wynonna's even more impressive follow-up, TELL ME WHY.