- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 17, 2004
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 12/08/1982
"...Technically the film is nicely put together, boasting fine production values throughout..."
New York Times - 12/09/1982
"...The cast is excellent..."
This dramatic masterpiece about the 24th reunion of a high school basketball team features an incredible all-star cast. Based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning play.
When George, James, Phil, Tom and Coach Delaney were younger, they basked in the glory that a high school basketball championship granted them.
Now that they are men, the idea of winning-and-losing has become harder for these five former classmates to define. They have become, respectively: an embattled mayor; a high school principal; a shifty businessman; a souse writer; and an aging and possibly ill retired coach.
Following their annual tradition, they again reunite, but this time for the 25th anniversary of their big game. As time passes, each reveals to the group for the first time the matches he has lost in the interim. Some have abused drugs or drink; others have profited from unethical money deals; and one has even had sex with one of the other men's wives.
- The stage version of "That Championship Season" won the Pulitzer Prize in 1972.
- Additional cast: Michael Bernosky (Jacks); Joseph Kelly (Malley); James M. Langan (Cooney); Tony Santaniello (Marelli);
William G. McAndrew (Harrison); and Barry Weiner (Sharmen).
- Color by Metrocolor.