- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1960
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Mono - English
- Mono - Spanish
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Subtitles - French - Optional
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 04/01/2004
"A tale of intolerance unfurls with surprising subtlety."
Suspicion runs rampant in a western town when the adopted daughter of a white family is thought to be an Indian. Unjustly, the violence and hatred that follows threatens to tear the family apart.
It's 1865 and the southwest is plagued by post-Civil War tensions. But beautiful, winsome Rachel Zachary lives blithely with her mother Matilda on a Texas Panhandle cattle ranch. The Zacharys are a hearty frontier family finally reunited when brothers Ben, Cash and Andy return from a long trip. One day, an old family foe reappears and begins circulating vicious rumors about Rachel: that she was taken from an Indian tribe, clandestinely adopted by the family and passed off as white. Once provoked, the local Kiowa Indians band together to reclaim their lost daughter. Violence ensues and Rachel's betrothed, a feeble-minded white settler, is killed. Outraged, the homesteaders demand to know more about Rachel's birth. After all, why would the Kiowa attack if Rachel weren't of Indian blood'