Stan Freberg Greatest Hits
|You Save:||$0.73 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Allan Sherman ~ My Son, the Greatest: The Best of Allan Sherman [CD] ~ $12.58
- by Bob Newhart ~ Something Like This... The Bob Newhart Anthology (2-CD) ~ $18.88
- by Spike Jones ~ Thank You, Music Lovers ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Tom Lehrer ~ The Tom Lehrer Collection (2-CD) ~ $14.22
- Released: December 27, 1994
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Curb Mod Afw
- 1.St. George And The Dragonet
- 2.John And Marsha
- 3.Wun'erful, Wun'erful (Parts 1 & 2)
- 5.I've Got You Under My Skin
- 6.Little Blue Riding Hood
- 7.The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- 8.Banana Boat (Day-O)
- 9.The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise
- 10.Heartbreak Hotel
Contains original Capitol recordings of Freberg's assorted satirical pieces and comic parodies of popular songs.
Liner Note Author: Don Ovens.
This ten-track budget compilation includes musical parodies made popular throughout the 1950s by satirist Stan Freberg. Not only was he a Capitol Records recording artist, he hosted his own criminally short-lived show during the final vestiges of the golden age of radio and was the last person to have a comedy series on CBS Radio. Freberg was joined by some of the most notable voice-over talents of the time -- Daws Butler, June Foray and Peter Leeds, not to mention the top-shelf accompaniment of Billy May -- were all regulars. The program became an outlet for many of Freberg's million-selling Top 40 singles, such as his spoof of Jack Webb's deadpan delivery on "St. George and the Dragonet" as well as "Little Blue Riding Hood," where he likewise announces that "only the color has been changed to protect the innocent." The classic soap opera send-up "John & Marsha" rings eternally true, as does his pokes at Lawrence Welk on the send-up "Wun'erful, Wun'erful," the Elvis lampoon "Heartbreak Hotel" and the "Banana Boat Song (Day-O)" calypso put-on. Similarly, the decidedly demented take of Cole Porter's "I've Got You Under My Skin" proves that no icon is sacred. For the uninitiated, Greatest Hits (1993) is a fine point of departure. That said, Freberg's Capitol Collectors Series (1990) has over twice as much material, including everything found here. But the die-hard enthusiast will most certainly want Tip of the Freberg: The Stan Freberg Collection 1951-1998 (1999), as the multi-media box set boasts four CDs and a VHS tape. ~ Lindsay Planer
Golden Age of American Rock 'n' Roll: Special Novelty Ed. (CD)
$16.04 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 4 (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Eskimos, Mean Old Queens and Little Bitty Steers (CD)
$19.58 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)
$12.50 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE